Author Topic: paint  (Read 4583 times)

Offline david451

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
paint
« on: December 15, 2011, 01:23:53 PM »
Done a bit of searching and cant find any real help with the paint other than my candy orange is difficult to do and it's about 500 quid to get somebody to do it.

Does anybody know what the paint codes are for this and what the process is for laying on the paint. I know that Honda did not have codes for doing this but since folk are painting them these days there must be codes for the paints they are using.

I have all the equipment for painting, not gone to water based paints yet, doubt I will to be honest but would prefer to do the painting myself. that's part of the fun during a restoration.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: paint
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2011, 03:28:51 PM »
Its a three pack candy paint and is the "nasty" poisonous type needing full air mask mate. Try RS paints who used to be in Bradford but i think have moved south for the paint, they did do all the Honda colours

Offline david451

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2011, 03:59:05 PM »
Its a three pack candy paint and is the "nasty" poisonous type needing full air mask mate. Try RS paints who used to be in Bradford but i think have moved south for the paint, they did do all the Honda colours

The paint is over rated, health and safety has gone mad on this. I know some guys who are not only not using an air fed mask but are daft and still not using a mask of any kind. Like any chemical you need to keep it away from skin, eyes, ears and dont breath it in. We have gone to water based paints but the clearcote is still solvent based and worse than the base coat and primers, and shit to be honest

If you use a mask suitable for the chemicals in the paint, full suit and eye protection you will be safe "can't guarantee that". If you are worried go and buy a biochemical suit from the army surplus and either use the paint mask or the full face gas mask. These items were designed for the worst stuff that anybody could throw at us.

I think that over the years I must have inhaled tons of shit from doing clutches and brakes on all sorts of vehicles, the worst being trucks, and all we had was a paper mask. It went everywhere stuck to clothes skin in hair everywhere and all over the workshop. At some point H&S is going to stop this practice and they would if there was an easy solution.

But you are right Bryan it's not nice, smells nice though. In the 70s we started using it, in those days it took ages to go hard, this new stuff goes off much better, but then we wore basic masks.

Offline david451

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2011, 04:31:37 PM »
Done a bit of searching and cant find any real help with the paint other than my candy orange is difficult to do and it's about 500 quid to get somebody to do it.

Does anybody know what the paint codes are for this and what the process is for laying on the paint. I know that Honda did not have codes for doing this but since folk are painting them these days there must be codes for the paints they are using.

I have all the equipment for painting, not gone to water based paints yet, doubt I will to be honest but would prefer to do the painting myself. that's part of the fun during a restoration.

Managed to get my paint ok, you are a gem they are still trading, bought half litre base and topcoat, I have my own clear, but it was fairly costly, but it's the right thing eh.

Thanks again

Offline Seamus

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2011, 04:43:07 PM »
That request rang a bell,
Perhaps this link would be interesting

http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php?topic=3392.0

Good luck

Seamus

Offline david451

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2011, 10:08:46 AM »
That request rang a bell,
Perhaps this link would be interesting

http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php?topic=3392.0

Good luck

Seamus

The paint finish looks like the metal flakes are quite large so if it's not put on evenly then it is going to look shit, I'll do a side panel first, to practice.

Nice description and you did a cracking job, I like to hit them with 2000 wet and dry, I don't like the scotch pads, then g3 it with the polisher.

Offline Seamus

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2011, 12:58:53 PM »
Glad the link was of use. Not my work though, I just rememberred the post.

Post pictures of your work, always nice to see a good job.

Cheers

Seamus

Hinomaru

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2011, 02:28:16 PM »
This link from the SOHC-USA site will show some details on Flake Sunrise Orange paint.

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=56529.0

Offline david451

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2011, 03:20:45 PM »
Glad the link was of use. Not my work though, I just rememberred the post.

Post pictures of your work, always nice to see a good job.

Cheers

Seamus

Once I get her done I will post a few pics of her in all her flair, starting to get attached to her already the little beauty.

Offline david451

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2011, 03:23:05 PM »
This link from the SOHC-USA site will show some details on Flake Sunrise Orange paint.

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=56529.0

Is that a sticker on that panel at the top.

Hinomaru

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2011, 04:22:24 PM »

Yes. That sticker is for the oil information and is correct. The orange paint is also factory original from a K4 cover and just a bit faded. Still makes a nice sample to compare flake size and amount with.

Offline david451

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2011, 05:23:27 PM »

Yes. That sticker is for the oil information and is correct. The orange paint is also factory original from a K4 cover and just a bit faded. Still makes a nice sample to compare flake size and amount with.

Is there a sticker on the other cover.

Hinomaru

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2011, 05:43:27 PM »
No sticker was used on the left side cover, just emblems. The factory did paint the lower mounting tab black on the left side K1 to K6 covers. This feature is often overlooked on restored covers and usually a dead giveaway to the repaint.

Offline david451

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2011, 09:06:05 PM »
No sticker was used on the left side cover, just emblems. The factory did paint the lower mounting tab black on the left side K1 to K6 covers. This feature is often overlooked on restored covers and usually a dead giveaway to the repaint.

Must remember that when I do mine, need to get that sticker ordered before they post out my decals as well.

Thanks for that

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal