Author Topic: numbers  (Read 2004 times)

Offline sanders

• View Profile
numbers
« on: January 15, 2012, 10:04:50 AM »
hi all, apart from the v.i.n. plate on the front downtube, are there any other identifying numbers stamped on the frame and if so where are they.  cheers. Paul

Offline NE0

• View Profile
Re: numbers
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2012, 10:40:18 AM »
Hi paul,

Nope!
I've stripped my bike down to the last nut and bolt, sandblasted and powdercoated my frame and all I ever found was the number on the Vin plate, plus the engine number on the engine casing.
(1976 400/4)  But that was over 20 years ago I did that!!!

I've just been in the shed and sure enough on the headstock, barely visible in the powdercoat are the frame numbers!  :-[

morale: always check the facts BEFORE posting!

NE0
« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 11:59:02 AM by NE0 »
I hope to die peacefully in my sleep, just like my Uncle..............unlike his terrified passengers!

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2012, 10:58:25 AM »
All of the Hondas I have ever owned had the frame number stamped on the headstock, as far as I am aware the ONLY legit reason for it not to be so is if a new replacment frame has been fitted, and I'd want proof of that before I'd go anywhere near it!
If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline sanders

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2012, 02:04:51 PM »
thankyou  for the quick replys, i feel a lot easier now as i declined a bike, nice as it was but i was unable to find any other numbers on the frame.the gentleman who was selling told me that was the norm. buyer beware, thanks again.  Paul

Offline buxtonmick

• I must be mad
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2012, 03:25:17 PM »
If the frame has been re-powdercoated the number on the headstock will probably be buried, as mine now is  ::).  If I were to sell the bike I accept that this would probably entail taking off the coating over just the VIN and repainting or something.  I suspect this may be the case with your prospective purchase, but when sellers brush these things off with " oh, they're all like that" and such like, I suddenly become very wary like yourself!

Online Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2012, 06:53:24 AM »
I have, when working for a Main Dealer, replaced a frame after an accident and the person doing it is "Supposed" to stamp the original number into the frame as spares are not stamped at all(same for nearly all bikes--only one i know different was BMW). Now whilst we did have letter/number stamps they were not identical to the Honda font and i do not know of any way of getting Honda type ones so just looking different would not necessarily be bad.

NOW a lot of US dealers never bought stamps so there are a lot of un-numbered engine casings out there and by logical interpretation(thank you Spock) there are probably some frames as well.

Having said all that if i was buying i would want to see at least the hint of numbers under the powdercoat OR scrape the headstock and make sure there were NO grinding/filing traces there(always on LH side as sat on the bike). If the seller won't let you --Walk away there will always be another one!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal