Author Topic: Engine paint  (Read 2383 times)

Offline simongi

• View Profile
Engine paint
« on: January 19, 2012, 09:58:24 AM »
At looooong last I'm about to start painting my F2 engine black. I see you can get simoniz motor cycle  heat dispersant paint. Has anyone used it? Or can you recommend something else. I want to get it right because the original paint has 80% all come off.
 I've bead blasted the engine bits and will etch prime before application of top coat.Cheers. Simon

Offline bluemouse1006

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Engine paint
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2012, 10:56:42 AM »
I used simoniz engine paint/laquer in a alloy colour,got off ebay. very good and I used it to paint bolt heads etc looks great and easy to spray on. sure you can get it in other colours

good luck

Amos

P.s Look at my post on camshaft oil starvation !! don't do the same as me with the  paint and end up with it in your oil and blocking oil ways !!
Amos

Offline simongi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2012, 08:59:48 AM »
thanks Amos. Good advice.

Offline simongi

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 09:09:05 AM »
Okay, I've just been reading all the scary stories of oil issues with reassembling the head. Is there a good bible out there so I can get it right. All I have is the the old Haynes. THis may be okay, but I'm sure someone knows different........... Cheers

Simon

Offline NE0

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2012, 09:21:52 AM »
simoniz motor cycle  heat dispersant paint. Has anyone used it? Or can you recommend something else.

I sprayed my Honda 400/4 engine with Eastwoods silver engine paint 20 years ago and it still looks like its only been put on in the last couple of years! i.e its still looking great.

However, I recently sprayed my DT175MX engine and gearbox with Simoniz Engine black from Weemoto.
Its a bit glossy but it has since gone very slightly dull from when I put it on last summer.
Its got good resistance so far to grime but a petrol splash took the paint off when I didn't notice it in the first week of spraying. Unfortunately I didn't wipe it off in time, whilst it remained black it did leave a matt finish where the run was. I subsequently resprayed that area.
The paint does take a few days to harden but its been fine since. As you know Two strokers run hotter than fours which may have helped it harden better.

I have since learnt that it s also worth considering using Plastikote Bar-b-que paint from B&Q, which has excellent heat properties and adhesion and has a similar satin sheen to factory finish.
Might be worth a look.

NE0
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 10:01:59 AM by NE0 »
I hope to die peacefully in my sleep, just like my Uncle..............unlike his terrified passengers!

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2012, 09:59:04 AM »
If you are really serious about keeping a CB750, you need Hondaman's "bible"

Not cheap but you'll never regret it!

It is available in the UK: http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php?topic=2592.0

Go to .net to see if he has any coupon offers at the moment: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=65293.0

I have a copy if you are close and want to check it out before committing.

Steve

2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline the-chauffeur

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2012, 09:34:53 PM »

Steve's advice seconded.

Hondaman's book is a proper 'what the manuals don't tell you' guide, written by someone who's worked on 750's (and Honda's in general) for more than 3 decades.

Not cheap, but nothing else out there - with the exception of Hondaman's posts on the US forum (many of which form the basis of the book) - comes close.

Offline Warthog1959

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2012, 09:00:55 PM »
Look Up , Sandwells in Towester. They do a xylan coating in black or silver. Approx £45 per major piece. It is a non stick, heat resistant, chemical resistant coating.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal