Author Topic: Phil Read Replica bits  (Read 4957 times)

Offline Robbo

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
Phil Read Replica bits
« on: January 30, 2012, 10:29:12 AM »
Does anyone know where I might be able to find or get a phil read replica tank and exhaust?

I've been searching the net but no joy so far

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
Re: Phil Read Replica bits
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 11:41:13 AM »
You could try expanding your search to include the terms "Honda Britain" and "Seeley" as they used the same parts.

Good luck.

Steve
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 12:58:50 PM »
I have a exhaust , i will try and get a photo for you
pete

Offline Robbo

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 04:45:47 PM »
That would be great!

No real luck with the tank, if anyone knows if there is anywhere that I can get one made up - or if anyone has one I can take a mould of - that would be great

Offline Robbo

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2012, 04:52:45 PM »
Also I have no V5 so is there anywhere I could check the frame and engine numbers to verify that it's original?

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2012, 05:16:00 PM »
Check the registration with the dvla online, the standard service is free it will tell you if the bike exists on their records and tax status, if its there then apply for your v5 and make sure the numbers are the same.

Offline Robbo

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2012, 01:53:43 PM »
Bike exists under the right number plate but the online check I did wouldn't say if it was a PPR.

Pics of the exhaust would be great, and info on tank as ever.

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2012, 03:26:08 PM »
Hi Robbo, i cant get to where i stashed the exhaust, i am quite badly injured from a recent bike crash, however i will get my son to have a look for me soon,
I dont think the log book will say its a PPR anyway, it will probably just be registered as a Honda cb750, wether its original  ppr or not does not make a huge difference, as they are simply a 1978/79 F2 with a few bolt on changes, they came with Girling gas shocks, rear sets using redrilled original hangers, complete fairing , a seat and tail piece,front guard, a very unique set of ace bars, ignition switch mounted in the left of fairing, and of course the lovely hand built ally tank, as long as you have or get the above on your bike it will be as good as any thing else out there, there have been a few in recent years on ebay which although original have lots of changes, the exhausts rotted away in the first couple of years and so most are hand made sort of copies, i have two pipes actually one is in ordinary steel not original but looks good and the other one i had made per spec from stainless steel i have a picture of my stainless one for you to see below it is at the moment on my F2, 

pete

Offline Robbo

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2012, 07:50:00 PM »
Thanks for the info! It has everything bar the tank, the ignition is also on the bars although there looks to be some kind of repair inside the left fairing so I suspect it was there once. Either way I prefer having the key there as it's a lot less fiddly.

Your exhaust looks great! A quick spray of black engine paint and no-one would tell...

I sent off an email to colin seeley today to see if he could shed any light on the tank - I've spent roughly 20 hours looking for one online, I missed a job lot on ebay it seems. If I haven't found one by the time the rest of the bike is done I might have to ask for dimensions and pictures so I can make my own fiberglass version.

It's such a great looking bike, I can't wait to ride it!

Offline kifer

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2012, 11:02:09 PM »
Fair play to Pete he hasn't missed out one bit on the description, i've had a Britain [ same thing barring exhaust and paint job ] You will have some fun on that and turn some heads good look with it. Tom. PS a Pic would be nice.

Offline Robbo

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2012, 01:58:03 PM »
I put a battery in and hooked up a fuel tank and she ran! I had to kick her over as the start button was not working (although the starter motor was) but she sounded sweet with no rattles or noises. Mind you the baffles in the exhaust have all but gone so it might not have easy to hear anything!

I have given some thought to what I plan to do with it - I think I will give it a real good clean and get the fairings fixed and painted, try and find a PRR tank or get one made and build it up for MOT. Once it's running and I'm using it I'll know wether I want to sell it on for something different or keep it as it is , in which case I will strip it, paint it and replace any worn parts etc. I'd hate to put this winter into it only to find it's not exactly what I'm looking for.

Still on the hunt for a tank - If anyone knows where I may be able to get an alloy one made up please let me know.

Pics to come as soon as I work out how to do it...

Robbo

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal