Author Topic: Rear brake cable?  (Read 3432 times)

Offline joeleeman

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
Rear brake cable?
« on: February 05, 2012, 09:23:26 PM »
Anyone ever converted the rear brake operation to a cable rather than a rod?

Offline Tomb

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
Re: Rear brake cable?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 07:29:45 AM »
Earlier Hondas had cable rear brake if you want to look at some for ideas

CB72 CB77 CL72 CL77

Clicky for more
Tom
'73 CB550 with CB500 engine café racer
'62 CB77 Sprinter
'70 CD175
'78 CB550 with sidecar
'80 Z50R
And a load of old Yamaha 1100's

Offline Voxonda

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 08:56:40 PM »
Did it some time ago. And also for a member here.

cheers, Rob
Better sorry for failing than for the lack of trying.

Offline joeleeman

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 08:33:53 PM »
Do you have to modify the rear drum to hold the cable sheath or can you just weld a tab on?

Offline the-chauffeur

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2012, 10:06:17 PM »

Can't speak for the F model wheels, but the K series wheel outer doesn't have any sort of mounting for the cable sheathing.  Essentially, you're looking at either extensive modification to the outer plate - and almost certainly modding the rear lever and it's spindle and the length of the bar that stops the outer rotating (sorry - can't think of the name of it right now) - or using a wheel from another bike.

The 750 was essentially a scaled-up CB450, so they share similar component design (i.e. rear brake linkage).  As far as I can tell, the biggest bike of the same period - early '70's - that Honda used a cable on was the SL350 ('69-'72 models).  And before you ask, no, it wouldn't be a good idea using one of those wheels - not only are they unlikely to be able to cope with the weight of the 750, they're 18 spoke (instead of the 750's 20) and they're crazy scarce over here.  Even if you can find a wheel, the brake cables are almost impossible to find in any condition, although I guess you could get an aftermarket cable made up.

Having said all that, you might find this sort of mod has been done by some of the race boys in the US.  I'm assuming you've checked out the US SOHC forum . . .

Hope that helps

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2012, 10:36:47 PM »
Just one question, WHY? The standard rod linkage is strong, simple, and virtually indestructable ;D, cables can stretch, get stiff and bind, and snap when you really dont need it :'(
If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline Voxonda

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2012, 10:39:45 AM »
There is really nothing to it than this. And yes you need a 4 m/m brake cable and if you keep your bike well 'tuned' it'll survive all of us. Seen enough bad maintained bikes with oem brakes that did not work. But the rod does it's job well for 4 decades so that says something too.

Let me know, cheers.

Rob
Better sorry for failing than for the lack of trying.

Offline Tomb

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2012, 12:21:09 PM »
I know lads that have drilled the brake plate and bolted on the outer cable holder from inside instead of welding.

Why cable?? coz we can, I mean why build a cafe racer out of a perfectly good standard bike  .....coz we can ;D
Tom
'73 CB550 with CB500 engine café racer
'62 CB77 Sprinter
'70 CD175
'78 CB550 with sidecar
'80 Z50R
And a load of old Yamaha 1100's

Offline joeleeman

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2012, 07:05:10 PM »
I wanted the rear brake cable because I think it looks neater  I've already cut the pivot point for the rear brake off the frame. Plus it's got homemade rear sets and I thought a cable would be easier than a bendy rod

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal