Author Topic: push-pull  (Read 1417 times)

Offline sanders

• View Profile
push-pull
« on: February 08, 2012, 09:08:02 AM »
hi all,just out of curiosity why do Hondas have the pull-push throttle cable set up, would it work with just the pull cable only? cheers  Paul.

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: push-pull
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 09:41:23 AM »
I seem to recall that it was U.S legislation that made this happen (might be wrong though!) the idea being that if the pull cable became stiff/stuck, you could forcibly close the throttle without the engine revving out of control. Yes, you can just use the pull cable, but as mentioned earlier, if the cable becomes stiff/stuck :o, you'd have to pull the clutch in and kill the engine to stop things going awry and either crashing or blowing the engine :'(
If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline Tomb

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 12:17:09 PM »
I have a quick twist handlebar throttle grip on my 500/4 which only has one cable, other bikes I've had with push/pull cables are very handy if your throttle cable breaks, you always have a spare, from (bad) memory they're different lengths, but will get you home so worth leaving on the bike.
Tom
'73 CB550 with CB500 engine café racer
'62 CB77 Sprinter
'70 CD175
'78 CB550 with sidecar
'80 Z50R
And a load of old Yamaha 1100's

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2012, 09:16:21 PM »
I've never seen a definitive/plausible explanation for it, but having some extra linkages may possibly have been thought to raise the risk of getting stuck so contingency was added to assist closing.

Makes using different twist grip a problem though.

An important consideration I think is a legal one that I've put on here before: scenario of your bike involved in a accident and then examined by motor vehicle engineer, would it be judged that you didn't maintain it in a safe condition? and hence contribute to the situation.
I don't know the answer to that but feel it certainly wouldn't help you if that were the case and we ordinarily come off badly in any situations like this anyway. Just something to consider.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal