Author Topic: Dead battery  (Read 2388 times)

Offline basketcase

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
Dead battery
« on: February 26, 2012, 10:00:53 AM »
Hi all, I`ve just uncovered my K3 from winter hibernation and the battery is DEAD!! Not only dead but the level of acid/water is quite low in all of the reservoirs. I know that I should have disconnected it before winter or even left it on optimise but with all of the problems assosciated with house moving I forgot. Will I get away with just recharging it or should I go for a new one? I remember having problems last year, I`d leave it for a couple of weeks and the battery would be low but it would kick over ok. Now it won`t even start with the kick start. Is there an underlying problem with the charging system?
I don`t have this problem with my old Brit bike, NO electric start!! And if the battery is flat then there is an alternitive switch to allow me to kick start then switch over to normal running.
I`ve ordered a complete carb overhaul set from Japan so that will be the first job.....after starting the bl***y thing!!
Cheers in advance Nigel.
Do or do not...there is no try!

Offline mick

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: Dead battery
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 10:13:37 AM »
Personally i would top the battery up and give it a charge before condeming it  (but i'm tight lol),

i've got the batteries of my cb750 & Kettle & a spare jumper battery for my van sat next to me in the kitchen to keep warm  ;), the cold weather just kills em

if your still having problems treat the bike to a new one when your going to start using it  ;), cheers Mick. 

Offline Tomb

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 12:25:16 PM »
Personally i would top the battery up and give it a charge before condeming it  (but i'm tight lol),

Me too. Top it up and charge           .....and tight ;D ;D ;D
Tom
'73 CB550 with CB500 engine café racer
'62 CB77 Sprinter
'70 CD175
'78 CB550 with sidecar
'80 Z50R
And a load of old Yamaha 1100's

Offline kendo57

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2012, 03:10:39 PM »

Offline mickwinf

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2012, 06:04:38 PM »
hi Nigel i had same problem with my 550 battery, it was so flat i thought it was knackered, even my optimiser charger wouldent charge it.On advice from this forum i tried a normal car charger, and hey presto it started to charge, then i swapped to the optimizer to fully charge.Hope you save it ! Regards mick
Love the 500 and 550 have a 500 called Lazarus under restoration

Offline basketcase

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2012, 06:25:53 PM »
Thanks everyone, it`s now on charge! I`ve an old car battery charger with a choice of both 6 and 12 volt and trickle and boost!!  Going to try 24 hours on trickle then another 24 on boost, if no good after that then I`ll opt for a new one ( I`m a bit on the tight side too!!)
Cheers Nigel.

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2012, 10:06:19 PM »
I'd go with thers on charging too.

Bit tight is now in vogue, we've all become conservation experts now! Ha, save the planet and all that.

Offline basketcase

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2012, 08:53:10 AM »
I don`t know about saving the planet....the battery has been on charge now for 2 days!! Think of all the electric used  ;) And I`ve been using the polishing mops in my electric drill! And boiling the kettle for endless drinks. And the radio blasting out!! I should be locked up ;D

Offline jcknapp

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2012, 11:20:51 PM »
If you do decide to go with a new battery check out these guys for an option.  http://www.shoraipower.com/   I saw them at a trade show and they are literally less than half the weight, no battery acid to ever deal with and they can hold charge up to a year without ever recharging. Lithium to so you can put them sideways, regular, whatever. Kinda pricy but really cool. Cheers

J
TON UP!!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal