Author Topic: CB550 HORN PROBLEM  (Read 2599 times)

Offline harri80

• View Profile
CB550 HORN PROBLEM
« on: February 26, 2012, 04:17:12 PM »
Hi everyone....
I have a big problem, I can't get the horn to work on the honda 550... I have two wires a light green and a black, from the left hand control to the horn... I have check with a volt meter I have power to the horn and to the button. I have continuity from the Light green to the  horn.  i also check continuity between the black and the L/green wire from the back of the horn when you press the button and its fine... I have taken the button apart and clean the terminal.... What am I missing? so any help would be great...

Thanks
Harri

Online Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: CB550 HORN PROBLEM
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 05:09:21 PM »
There are two different swtches on the 400, on one the light green grounds when the button is pushed on the other the light green gets 12volt when the button is pushed.

Which is yours?

Offline harri80

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 05:20:27 PM »
I think its the one that that gets 12 volt because i cant find where it goes to ground.. The switch also does the pass light as well but the wires are consealed in a plastic box within the control... so I thought it would go to ground on the horn bolt  but I have tested that and it didn't work...

Offline mickwinf

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2012, 05:59:51 PM »
harri, i had the same problem, the wiring diagram in most manuals is for the early models, sounds like yours is the k3 or f2?. the solution is to remove the black wire from the horn just leave the light green one attatched. then the spare horn terminal goes to earth via a short wire, i just earthed to the horn mounting bolt. on these models the + current goes to the plastic connector in the handlebar switch first, then via the l green wire to the horn, then to earth, it does not earth in the switch itself, when you press PA it diverts + current to the headlight main beam for flash. the old black wire at horn is not now used, just tuck it out of the way. If not sure give me a ring on 07870112945, regards Mick
Love the 500 and 550 have a 500 called Lazarus under restoration

Offline LesterPiglet

• SOHC Pro
  • 1977 CB550F2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2012, 06:29:12 PM »
Of course you have checked the horn works?   ;)
'Then' and 'than' are completely different words and have completely different meanings. Same with 'of' and 'have'. Set and sit. There, their and they're. Set/sit. Bought/brought FFS. Bloody Americans.

Les Ross. Certified by a Professional

Offline harri80

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2012, 08:57:23 PM »
Hi Mick,
Thank you very much a five minute fix and its working thats great,  thanks again.

Harri

Online Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2012, 06:36:40 AM »
Ah, that is why i asked the question, you have early bike later switch

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal