Author Topic: oil tank  (Read 2634 times)

petercb750

oil tank
« on: January 08, 2006, 07:41:12 AM »
Hi all. A quick question - should the remote oil tank have pressure in it? IE, should it hiss when you release it after running the engine - not unlike undoing the radiator cap on a hot car? Mine did today and it's the first time I can recall this happening. If it's not supposed to do that, what do you think might have caused it?
There that's actually 3 quick questions!
Cheers
Peter.

jimshea

Re:oil tank
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2006, 02:00:12 PM »
Peter,
Welcome.
No it should  not hiss, it sounds like you have pressure building, possibly in the crank. Someone more technical than me can answer this.
What part of the country are you from?
What year bike do you have? Have you owned it for a while or just recently got it?
When did you last service the bike?
Jim.

petercb750

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2006, 06:31:19 AM »
Hi Jim.
I'm the one from Oz - have had a couple of other posts on the site. We also have a 400/4.
Mine's a K2, with K4 motor. Not owned long, some work to do, especially the motor (as you can tell), but generally it's all there and ok. Just doing the odd job on it as I find something I am capable of doing! Heaps of fun though and a real head turner. A case of reliving the 70s. Those were the days my friend....................
Peter.

jimshea

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2006, 12:11:04 PM »
Peter,
I remember now!! it's an age thing I'm afraid!
I agree the early 70s was my era too, the bikes take me back to being a teenager and desperately wanting one and not being able to afford it!
Btw, the 'pressure' problem could be an oil pump issue, blocked filter, old oil etc. Have you tried changing the oil and filter and checking if the pump and filter screen are ok?
Cheers,
Jim.

petercb750

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2006, 09:05:01 PM »
Had considered a couple of those things, but another motor is on its way soon so won't get too into it for now. Oil \"looks\" ok though. I actually now suspect the return oil pump or blockage somewhere, as the level was way down (not registering!) on the dipstick after I heard the hissing, even after letting it settle for a while. I topped it up a bit, and then ran it for a few k's, checked again and found it to be overly full (and no pressure), indicating possibly that the problem had \"fixed\" itself. So all the oil must have been trapped in the cases - hence the pressure??
Funnily enough, back in the 70s, including road racing, street drags and general everyday thrashing, I never even knew there was a filter screen so it was never checked over a period of about 30k miles!! Never even had the motor out - they're a tough breed.....
Thanks for your input.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal