Author Topic: 750 K7 needle position  (Read 2094 times)

Offline UKROBK7

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
750 K7 needle position
« on: February 27, 2012, 09:25:52 AM »
Anyone know what the stock needle position is on the 1977 750 K7 (UK model) to give me a base setting?  The bike is being completely rebuilt with new stock exhaust and rebuilt engine.  I am now overhauling the carbs and it's obvious that they have been apart in the past but I don't know if the person messed with the needle position.  The clips are in the top (leanest position) groove on all carbs.  My Honda (genuine) manual has a diagram showing them in the middle position but makes no mention of the position in the write-up.  As I have found inaccuracies in the manual before I don't really trust it!!

Rob

Online mick

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: 750 K7 needle position
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 10:09:34 AM »
Hi Rob, i would put them in the middle setting i'm pretty sure thats the standard setting  ;), buy others may know different  :), cheers Mick.

Offline UKROBK7

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 04:49:21 PM »
Thanks Mick.  A Canadian contact has said that it should be at the top (leanest) position for the K7 as the needle is given as  F2D51E-1, apparently the -1 in the number means top clip position. 

Rob

Online mick

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 05:49:20 PM »
Hi Rob, i'm not familiar with the K7, but i'm glad someone with more knowledge helped you out have you tried our sister site in the USA theres a lot more members on there  for help aswell , ;) cheers Mick.

Offline Voxonda

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 06:52:03 PM »
Hey Rob,

Watch out. The setting for most Canadian and US models are far more lean that the ones for the European market, due to regulations differences. Europe K7 standard is middle position.

Good luck, Rob
Better sorry for failing than for the lack of trying.

Offline UKROBK7

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 08:05:04 PM »
Hi Voxonda, can you tell me where you got the middle position from?  My Honda factory manual and the supplement I bought says needle setting F2051E-1 for the K7.  The needles in my carbs are F2051E (or F2D51E, can't really tell).  The guy in Canada says -1 means top groove, -2 means 2nd from top etc.  I was assuming that the factory manual I bought was for the UK but perhaps the settings given are for the States.  I have normally set needles to the middle position on my other rebuilds and adjusted after road test but with 4 carbs this time I want to start out right!

Rob

Offline Voxonda

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2012, 04:51:56 PM »
Hey Rob,

Correct the -1/-2 is clip positions, but.....................recently rebuiild a set of carb's from a stock K7, first owner. Bike was stationary for a few years. Had to clean them and give them a ultra sonic bath. These needles from a "Dutch" bike were in the middle position. According to this owner bike has never been dissambled. Due to environmental regulations and/or type of gas settings can differ from country to country.

Cheers, Rob

Offline UKROBK7

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2012, 07:24:22 PM »
Thanks Voxonda.  I am tempted to go with the middle clip position.  If I decide to keep with the top clip position I will keep an eye on the plug colour.  I don't like to run an engine too lean - I've seen a few holed pistons on early British bikes and don't want to see this happen on this engine rebuild!

Rob

Offline Voxonda

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2012, 08:31:23 PM »
That is a safe bet! Better than the other way around. She'll love that extra bit of petrol.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal