Author Topic: Fuel tank cleaning  (Read 4782 times)

Offline Waggles

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Fuel tank cleaning
« on: February 29, 2012, 11:02:15 AM »
Have got round to cleaning out the tank on my F1 rebuild. Basically after removing around a bucketful of rusty, petrolly, smelly gunk the inside is not too bad, the usual expected rust along seams ( not enough to leak ) and small rust 'spots' over the sides.

Appreciate the gravel / handful of nuts techniques but that seems a little harsh for this and am not sure that will get at the seams. Anyone had any success with any prioprietory rust removers?

Offline Tomb

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
Re: Fuel tank cleaning
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 05:13:54 PM »
We've just done a tank at work with Phosphoric acid, it came out looking like fresh bare brand new shiny steel

Clicky
Tom
'73 CB550 with CB500 engine café racer
'62 CB77 Sprinter
'70 CD175
'78 CB550 with sidecar
'80 Z50R
And a load of old Yamaha 1100's

Offline Waggles

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 07:17:47 AM »
Cool, thanks, will give it a go

Offline the-chauffeur

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 10:09:35 PM »

If the acid route sounds a bit extreme and you've got time on your hands, I've had great results with this stuff. It dilutes 1-10 (one part solution, ten parts water) and you can get it in one litre bottles.

Ignore the instructions on the side in relation to how long it takes - it's best to leave the tank full for a week or so.  I dunno what's in it, but it's completely paint safe and passive.

Offline Waggles

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2012, 09:21:12 AM »
Just to relate the story in case it helps others, am having a frustrating time with this tank ( particularly so as it is the only thing stopping me running the motor! ) I checked the garage and found some 'Metal ready' from Frosts which is basically Phosphoric acid, only had a litre so in it went with a few nuts. Agitated said tank periodically during the day and I could see the rust coming off, excellent. Unfortunately, left it too long so that part not under the liquid dried and deposited rusty coating everywhere!  >:(  ( Entirely my fault, instructions say to keep it wet ) Next day much scrubbing with bottle brush and cleaners got me back to where I was ( bottom of tank clean, sides not so ) had to go out, left tank overnight so it went rusty again! Ever heard of WD40 Waggles?!?!?! Got some of the Halfords stuff recommended above ( Hadnt read the post above at that time ) diluted it and chucked it in, left for 2 days, much better AND I remembered to spray the WD40! Still needs another scrub etc but am getting there! Oh and anyone know how to get nuts out of a fuel tank?  ;D

Offline mick

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2012, 09:27:50 AM »
telescopic magnet and some patience  ;)

Offline Seamus

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2012, 07:39:17 PM »
Seem to recall reading an article relating to the use of electrolysis to clean tanks. May have a copy, I will have a search and see. Supposed to be very effective.
I seem to recall that it may have been on the US site that I saw it.

Offline Waggles

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2012, 11:55:07 AM »
Good point Seamus, I remember seeing it being done in an episode of 'Cafe racer' if I remember correctly but no details were given. Took a while I think.

What about nickel plating the inside of the tank to stop rust in the future? from what I know of electroplating I would have thought results would be mixed at best due to the shape of the tank but its a thought, anyone done anything like that? am loathe to use a liner as heaven knows what the fuel industry will be dumping in fuel in the future ......

Offline Seamus

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2012, 03:15:39 PM »
Not sure plating the inside of the tank is an option. just keep fuel in it. I will have a dig and see if I can find the article

Offline Tomb

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2012, 05:02:27 PM »
Doesn't the new E10 ethanol fuel eat some tank sealants?

Worth checking any tank sealant used is compatable if going that route?? :-\

E10 fuel clicky
Tom
'73 CB550 with CB500 engine café racer
'62 CB77 Sprinter
'70 CD175
'78 CB550 with sidecar
'80 Z50R
And a load of old Yamaha 1100's

Offline Waggles

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2012, 01:30:20 PM »
Absolutely it eats some liners Tomb, I have some liner from Frost's which is OK with ethanol but I still don't really want to use it as they will probably be putting more cr*p in the fuel as time goes by and heaven knows what that will be and what that will do  :-\

Offline steff750

• SOHC Expert
  • THE POWER OF DREAMS
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2012, 03:40:45 PM »
 :o due too the use of ethanol in modern fuels, don't even think of using petseal,was good stuff for years but not anymore,it crumbles very small fibres there is some new stuff out now called "gloop " or" slosh" cant remmember exact name (Anne Summer's kicked in  again)i will be back one day  :) with the proper name

Offline mickharrow

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2012, 01:15:21 PM »
can anyone give me a name for the halfords fuel tank cleaner as my local branch had no idea

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal