Author Topic: Rev Counter  (Read 1759 times)

Offline kifer

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
Rev Counter
« on: March 02, 2012, 10:43:33 PM »
Help, kicked bike up last night intention to set up carbs for some reason rev counter is rising very slowly but only reaching 2000 revs, has new cable all seems ok at engine end. Has anybody any ideas, Bike was last run about 6 weeks ago rev  counter was fine please help the end is near but some thing always seems to stop the finish. I need to ride not fix.

Offline Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP)

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Rev Counter
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 09:17:00 AM »
Kifer.
You are not alone on this one.With me its the speedo and its new, one day OK next real slow but it does seem to fix itself with more riding.The nylon gears in the clock become dry.I have heard some people put a drop of oil in them but not to much or it will go onto the face.I have not done this so no guarantees.Maybe yours will fix itself in time.

Regards
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

Offline kent400

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2012, 06:53:12 PM »
Tachometers usually either work or they don't. They are quite a simple device. It might be the best plan to remove the cable at the drive end and place the end of the cable in a power drill chuck. You do need a power drill that runs in reverse and start at a low speed and see how the instrument performs. This will eliminate any problem you might have at the drive end. There is no lubricant within the tacho other than the drive end.

Offline kifer

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 12:04:30 PM »
Cheers for help, Kent , read your reply and thought oh fcuk! I had already had drill on it but did not know it worked anti clock.
Just tried it again [ anti clock ] and seems to be working fine PHEW! will have a look at gear end and see if I have missed some thing,
Looked in parts book shows lock washer on stopper bolt [ not on mine ] I presume this should be external to rocker cover? sounds stupid question I know but just checking.
""Always amazed with knowledge on forum"" THANKS AGAIN.

Offline kifer

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2012, 02:32:55 PM »
Ignore bit about lock washer just me having thick moment,  Have removed drive from rocker cover all looks good wear on worm very slight, just wondered maybe inner drive could be short in cable, Has this been case with anybody? Going to assemble and check.

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2012, 04:33:21 PM »
Some pattern part cables can vary greatly in quality, if you cant see anything else wrong, try a genuine cable, not too expensive from DSS ;D
If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal