Author Topic: St.Bees to Robin Hoods Bay  (Read 2310 times)

Offline ted_paper

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
St.Bees to Robin Hoods Bay
« on: March 03, 2012, 03:22:51 PM »
Hi,
I'm planning to do the Coast-to-Coast St.Bees to Robin Hoods Bay this spring on my '77 CB400/4 with my pal on his '83 CB1000c.
Can anyone recommend accommodation at either end?
If anyone  has done a similar trip, I would be interested in the  route they took.
Cheers

Offline ted_paper

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
Re: St.Bees to Robin Hoods Bay
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 05:38:17 PM »
I like the cheap bit :), but I was looking for a B&B or good pub.

Offline mick

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2012, 08:59:06 PM »
Not done that run but have done Lancaster to Flamborugh head and back in a day  8), my arse was numb by the time i got home lol  ;) cheers Mick.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flamborough_Head

Offline ted_paper

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2012, 10:23:05 PM »
Not done that run but have done Lancaster to Flamborugh head and back in a day  8), my arse was numb by the time i got home lol  ;) cheers Mick.

Not too  far off my route...what was your  main road?

Offline meerkat

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2012, 12:14:06 PM »
The most direct route is via the A66. Not to everyone's taste but at least it's a dual carriageway for a good distance which allows the 'numpties' to do a flypast without too much hassle for you.

Around 150 miles in total - St. Bees, Whinlatter Pass, Keswick, Penrith, Brough, Barnard Castle, Darlington (bypass), over the North Yorkshire Moors via A171 and A174.
You can adjust the route to your preferences with a good map such as Philips Navigator @ 1.5 miles to 1 inch scale.
Retired and spending my children's inheritance.

Offline ted_paper

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2012, 02:38:27 PM »
The most direct route is via the A66. Not to everyone's taste but at least it's a dual carriageway for a good distance which allows the 'numpties' to do a flypast without too much hassle for you.

I thought about the A66. Not sure how hectic it will be though. I'd rather take a bit of a longer and slower route than try and tank it!
Thanks for your suggested route...Have you stayed over anywhere near the start/finish?

Offline meerkat

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2012, 03:13:18 PM »

I thought about the A66. Not sure how hectic it will be though. I'd rather take a bit of a longer and slower route than try and tank it!
Thanks for your suggested route...Have you stayed over anywhere near the start/finish?
No I've never needed to stay in either place living where I do. I've found the A66 to be an easy run and if you want to avoid it I think you'll have to make a long detour. Here's a link to some B & B's near Robin Hood's Bay
http://www.robin-hoods-bay.co.uk/html/where_to_stay/upper_hotel_list.htm
Retired and spending my children's inheritance.

Offline ted_paper

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2012, 06:13:29 PM »
Thanks for the link

Offline mick

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2012, 07:44:28 PM »
just having a look at the route we took when we went to flamborough head,

from Ingleton we took the B6255 to Hawes, then the A684 to Leyburn then on to Bedale, from there we headed for Northallerton then took the A168 to Thirsk

got on the A170 to Pickering then the A169 to Old Malton then the A64 to Staxton then the A1039 onto the A165 and finally onto the B1229 to Flamborough,

came back a different way  ::) ;), probably set off about 6 am in the summer roads quiet for first couple of hours, hope this helps and hope you have a great

journey , don't fotget your camera  ;), cheers Mick.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal