Author Topic: Front indicator earth  (Read 1125 times)

Offline Waggles

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Front indicator earth
« on: March 05, 2012, 08:43:51 AM »
Getting very close now with my F1 build. Connected up the battery yesterday and surprisingly nearly everything worked! Only problem is with the front indicators which just glow and both come on no matter which side is selected ( rears are fine ) I suspect they are not earthing.

The rears have a small earth wire attached to the mounting but I don't recall anything similar on the front have I missed something? or have I just painted something I shouldn't have?

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Front indicator earth
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 09:29:53 AM »
Have you connected the earth wire to the headlight shell bolt? The headlight frame on the F1 is rubber mounted top and bottom, so if you haven't got that earth lead attached, the headlight frame isn't earthed, so nor are your indicators, giving you the problem. If you can't find the earth wire, run one from the headlight buld plug to the shell bolt ;D
If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline Spitfire

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 11:52:20 AM »
Yes, you should have an earth point on the headlamp mounting bolts inside the headlamp shell, wires from these run to a connector in the headlamp, see photo.
1976 CB750F

1977 CB750F2 In bits

1964 BSA A65R In bits

Online Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 02:25:28 PM »
Also if you have had thebracket powder coated/painted scrape some coating off where the indicators bolt on or there will be no ground contact

Offline Waggles

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2012, 09:06:00 AM »
Yes, I have connected the headlamp mount earths and yes I had left the end of the indicator stalks unpainted, what I had also done was paint the headlamp mount too well so the mounting bolt didn't make contact with the bracket  ::)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal