Author Topic: Help, I've over-wintered my bike by mistake....  (Read 3745 times)

Online florence

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Help, I've over-wintered my bike by mistake....
« on: March 07, 2012, 09:15:13 AM »
Due to the pressures of trying to record, mix and master two albums (due for release in March and April) I haven't had the time to get my bike ready for it's MOT and it has been sitting in my workshop since the end of October.   Lack of use is bad news for bikes and being in the workshop means it is out of sight.  During it's rest I have managed to knock into it and snap the number plate and at one point it almost disappeared as things started to pile upon and around it, proving that bikes are just not meant to be inside.  Once I can clear the junk sitting between the bike and the door to the outside I should hopefully be able to drag it out into the sunshine and see just how bad things really are.  Please wish me luck.

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Help, I've over-wintered my bike by mistake....
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 09:30:30 AM »
Best of luck with it Florence, but any bike that can survive your level of general neglect will probably still be okay! ;D
If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Online florence

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 09:37:11 AM »
Neglect?  I put grease on it, often, and sometimes even wipe it over with an oily rag  ;D ;D.

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2012, 09:56:02 AM »
Then it'll be fine, just don't show it solvol or T Cut, it'll die of shock! ;D

Online florence

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2012, 10:08:22 AM »
What are these mysterious gods of which you speak.  I can honestly say they have never visited my workshop. :D

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2012, 10:27:12 AM »
Hey florence it sounds like you need to drag it out by the scruff of its steering neck, chuck a bucket of diesel over it to wake it up after hybernation, i am sure it will respond well to that, good luck
pete

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2012, 10:31:41 AM »
They truly are magical substances (Wouldn't recommend smoking or snorting them lol) When used, they cause Hallucinations that your Honda is not as old as the V5 says :o

Online florence

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2012, 11:14:19 AM »
Gadzooks!, tis witchcraft!

(Your bike is very pretty, even I have to admit.  I do not have the kind of dedication required.)

I like your idea Pete, you must have been reading my forthcoming book on bike maintenance.

Offline Tomb

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2012, 05:07:07 PM »
I do not have the kind of dedication required

I used to have the dedication required, just ain't got the time anymore, now everything's powder coated black or made of stainless, not pretty but bloody practical ::)
Tom
'73 CB550 with CB500 engine café racer
'62 CB77 Sprinter
'70 CD175
'78 CB550 with sidecar
'80 Z50R
And a load of old Yamaha 1100's

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2012, 05:55:35 PM »
Nor have I, BUT, I do have a 9 year old daughter who loves cleaning it for me, and at weekends, her friends want to come and help! ;D Who said child slavery was in the past! ;)

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2012, 06:13:20 PM »
It'll come right with some oil, a bit of freeing off, the 500/4 is pretty robust. Just be glad it aint running 550/4 k3 carbs as they are a lot less forgiving of being stood, the trade off being better mpg. I'll be digging mine out this summer for a overhaul but it will take a bit more work as it's been 2 years since it got used last and then it was suffering a bit then. I'll be using the proper 500 carbs and airbox and hang the economy.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Online florence

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2012, 12:45:19 PM »
.....re-charged battery and repaired number plate.  I will drag it outside later and see if it will start.  (I haven't missed a winter before, I must be getting old.)

My poor 1972 CB350 spent the winter outside this year because the 500 took it's space in the workshop.  I must say it has given it a healthy glow of rust.  I might try to start that one today too.

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2012, 12:57:57 PM »
Maybe a spot of fresh petrol in the 500, and I'd lay money on it starting! ;D

Online florence

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2012, 01:15:21 PM »
Shocked and stunned, tried to get the drain plugs undone on the carbs but proved a bit sticky and couldn't find a really good screwdriver so I thought, 'hang on I haven't even tried to start it yet'  Gave it about ten kicks and thought 'oh dear'.  Couple more kicks and away it went.  I just took it for a spin on the estate roads and all lovely.  Luckily the estate roads are not public so no problems legally.

I think I will book a MOT test ASAP.  I am rather pleased!

Online florence

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2012, 01:17:07 PM »
I think I'll try the 350 next.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal