Author Topic: DVLA  (Read 4263 times)

Offline the-chauffeur

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
DVLA
« on: March 09, 2012, 05:41:04 PM »

In mitigation of some of the negative press these folks get . . .

. . . I took in a bunch of documents to register my SL350 K2 into the Sidcup offices of the DVLA on Wednesday - which included a page with 4 images of the bike showing the frame and engine numbers.

In the post this morning (Friday), I got an envelope of papers containing various documents including a new MOT, numberplate authorisation certificate (old J reg) and historic vehicle tax disc.  V5 will follow. 

I reckon that's pretty good service for £55   ;)

Offline Tomb

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
Re: DVLA
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 08:05:31 AM »
. . . I took in a bunch of documents to register my SL350 K2 into the Sidcup offices of the DVLA

You're talking about your local VRO. Over the years getting age related reg's I've dealt with both Carlisle and Preston VRO who were both excellent, very helpful and knowledable. I can't praise the local VRO's enough.

The DVLA (Swansea) does get justifiable bad press coz they're a PIA bunch of idiots who don't understand or care. My recent experiences with logbooks is witness to that, I then was passed to Preston VRO who sorted it all very quickly. Brilliant.

Just my 2p ;)
Tom
'73 CB550 with CB500 engine café racer
'62 CB77 Sprinter
'70 CD175
'78 CB550 with sidecar
'80 Z50R
And a load of old Yamaha 1100's

Online Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2012, 08:41:54 AM »
I agree, the local VRO's have always been helpful, but Swansea is another matter---if you can get through on the phone most of them havent a clue and have to go and ask, try being a type 2 diabetic with an LGV licence!!!

Problem is they are talking about closing the VRO's so you will have to deal with Swansea

Offline LesterPiglet

• SOHC Pro
  • 1977 CB550F2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2012, 01:26:17 AM »
Hmmmm, anyone know how difficult it will be for me to register my 550?  I bought a new frame from DavidSilvers years ago..no numbers stamped on the frame. The bike hasn't been taxed since 84.
'Then' and 'than' are completely different words and have completely different meanings. Same with 'of' and 'have'. Set and sit. There, their and they're. Set/sit. Bought/brought FFS. Bloody Americans.

Les Ross. Certified by a Professional

Online Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 06:53:02 AM »
Have you got a bike that you are replacing the frame on, if so you just re-stamp those numbers into it, as done at any Honda dealer doing an insurance job.

If you want to actualy try and register it as a "New" vehicle you are in for mega time wasting paperwork and a "Q" plate at the end

Offline LesterPiglet

• SOHC Pro
  • 1977 CB550F2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 10:18:43 AM »
Yeah, It replaced the crablike frame my bike came with which has long gone to the scrapyard in the sky. I have the original green tax book. So it needs the numbers stamped on the frame?

Couldn't believe my luck getting it for £100.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 10:20:53 AM by LesterPiglet »
'Then' and 'than' are completely different words and have completely different meanings. Same with 'of' and 'have'. Set and sit. There, their and they're. Set/sit. Bought/brought FFS. Bloody Americans.

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2012, 12:07:21 PM »
Probaly best to have it done, and if you've still got it, the I.D. plate that was riveted to the old frame... (Although I have seen repro ones for sale on E-Bay :o)
If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline LesterPiglet

• SOHC Pro
  • 1977 CB550F2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2012, 01:30:17 PM »
I remember taking the plate off but that was 3 housemoves ago.   ::)

Online Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2012, 06:08:14 AM »
You may still have problems if all you have is the green logbook as that means it was never computerised at swansea so they will have no record of it.

Give me a ring on 07795162623 after 8pm when i'm at work and if you don't withold the number i will call back, probably easier to ask and answer questions that way.

Bryan

Offline LesterPiglet

• SOHC Pro
  • 1977 CB550F2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2012, 11:25:39 AM »
Thanks a lot Bryanj.

Offline the-chauffeur

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2012, 09:06:01 PM »
Looks like I spoke too soon . . .

. . . V5 arrived today.  Quite apart from the fact they've got the spelling of my name wrong - and since I've got four other bikes and a car registered in my name, and all the forms I filled out carried the exact same details, you wouldn't've thought it was hard to get that sort of stuff right - they've also managed to get both the frame and engine numbers of the bike wrong.  Even with a receipt, dating certificate, registration form and photos of the chassis, VIN and engine number stamping, they've still cocked it up.  Jesus . . .

To say I'm apprehensive about sending this thing back for correction is an understatement; the last one I returned came back showing an additional former owner (me!?!)

« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 09:15:09 PM by the-chauffeur »

Offline LesterPiglet

• SOHC Pro
  • 1977 CB550F2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2012, 09:39:50 PM »
Have you got a bike that you are replacing the frame on, if so you just re-stamp those numbers into it, as done at any Honda dealer doing an insurance job.

If you want to actualy try and register it as a "New" vehicle you are in for mega time wasting paperwork and a "Q" plate at the end

I've just looked at my original green log book and there isn't a frame number on it, only engine number. That's odd.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal