Author Topic: Hello from the Netherlands  (Read 1666 times)

Offline Alex .E

• View Profile
Hello from the Netherlands
« on: March 19, 2012, 07:54:17 PM »
Hello everybody,

Just bought my first bike a Honda cb750 Kz 1979  :)

Bought it learn from it and wrench on it in my spare time, it's all new for me so i am hoping to learn a bit on here.

the bike itself has been hit with the ugly stick quite hard though..

Offline LesterPiglet

• SOHC Pro
  • 1977 CB550F2
    • View Profile
Re: Hello from the Netherlands
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 09:15:26 PM »
Hello. You might  not get the help you expect here as its DOHC. Welcome all the same.

Edit. Maybe I worded that wrong.  What I meant was the members would have more experience with the SOHC engine. Sorry if I sounded curt.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 07:27:46 PM by LesterPiglet »
'Then' and 'than' are completely different words and have completely different meanings. Same with 'of' and 'have'. Set and sit. There, their and they're. Set/sit. Bought/brought FFS. Bloody Americans.

Les Ross. Certified by a Professional

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 09:03:44 AM »
We don't care. They're all old Hondas (and I've got a CB900FZ...)

You are most welcome here. We'll help when we can.

Steve
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 09:37:00 PM »
Hello and Welcome Alex E.

Some of the stuff is fairly close especially to the SOHC F2 so some answers could be had here, depends on if you get stuck on something familiar to us.

One thing is certainly common, all these engines rely on for their survival having good oil and filtration. Make sure you don't compromise this as its sooooooooo important.

Looks like the previous owner really wanted a Harley though.

Offline Alex .E

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2012, 06:34:25 PM »
Oh right, i did say it was all new for me haha, i had no idea!

The bike it self has a Harley tank on it, or so the last owner claimed. It's really wide and doesn't suite the bike at all i think, but it was cheap

Main reason for joining was to learn about the chassis, i much prefer the original look over a chopper but i would like to slowly transform it in to a cafe racer/Scrambler inspired bike.
Biggest challenge right now are: a new tank and change the shifter and brake back to the original position.

I think it should be doable for me the fix this problem myself, or so i hope.

But is the SOHC engine superior over the DOCH or is it more a matter of preference?

Thanks

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2012, 11:45:25 PM »
It's really a matter as you suspect.

Broadly the SOHC motor was the first really commercially successful 4 cylinder bike sold in big numbers worldwide running roughly from 1968 to 1978 so a particular era that people like.

Nothing really more than that, so if you like it you'd chase after one of that type.

The last model SOHC the "F2" had the old motor but a lead into the next era (your one) with things like Comstar wheels forks and braking system the most closely related elements.

The engine and frame I think it's safe to say have no commonality.

It shouldn't be too hard to return the foot controls back to normal if you get some of the parts from a breakers.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal