Author Topic: Suitable wire for lighting sub-loom  (Read 1127 times)

Offline the-chauffeur

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
Suitable wire for lighting sub-loom
« on: March 25, 2012, 01:20:11 PM »

Folks

After reading Hondaman's thoughts on the effects of using a halogen headlight with 40-year old switchgear, I've decided to looking at making up a sub-loom to allow the light switches/power to be run via relays.  In his book, Hondaman reckons the relays can be fitted into the headlight bowl, but I've got a relatively close fitting chrome dish on the back of mine and I have grave reservations about the amount of spare room in there.  So what I intend to do is make up a sub-loom that runs from the headlight back to the space by the battery and fit the relays in there, together with a relay to take the weight off the keyswitch.

With the back story out the way, what I need is some guidance as to what wire to order to make the loom up with.  Can I ask whether someone can take a look at the vehicle wiring products cable page for me and let me know whether I need to order Ref 16 or go for the heavier duty Ref 25.

Yup - it's as easy as that.  Thanks in advance.

Offline LesterPiglet

• SOHC Pro
  • 1977 CB550F2
    • View Profile
Re: Suitable wire for lighting sub-loom
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2012, 04:50:47 PM »
Seeing as 15 amp is the biggest fuse we have I'm sure Ref 16 would be ample.
'Then' and 'than' are completely different words and have completely different meanings. Same with 'of' and 'have'. Set and sit. There, their and they're. Set/sit. Bought/brought FFS. Bloody Americans.

Les Ross. Certified by a Professional

Offline Spitfire

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2012, 05:11:28 PM »
If I remember correctly when I rebuilt the F1 I used 1.0 mm2 wiring, I bought it from Halfords, it matched the original wiring on the bike, however I was only restoring wiring for the rear light/indicators, for other areas a heavier cable could be required.
So I would go for Ref 16.

Cheers

Dennis
1976 CB750F

1977 CB750F2 In bits

1964 BSA A65R In bits

Offline kifer

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2012, 06:14:26 PM »
You can work out amps needed by  deviding watts by volts ie  100w devided by 12v = 8.34amps I would be tempted if pos to keep relay close to headlamp [ small waterproof box maybe ]  easy for switch wire for relay coil and load length will be kept at a minimum on halogen. Hope this helps good luck.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal