Author Topic: Hello from Lancashire  (Read 1627 times)

Offline Greg H

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
Hello from Lancashire
« on: April 07, 2012, 10:15:22 PM »
Hello guys . I used to do a bit of Sprinting/Dragracing on my sohc 750/970 back in the day , and although I've owned many different bikes since then ( I currently run a Nitrous Hayabusa in Straightliners/UKLSRA  events ) I've always planned on building a 1970s style Pro Stock sohc drag bike . I'm currently researching my project and am hoping to be getting "stuck in" to the build in the near future .

Offline mick

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: Hello from Lancashire
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2012, 10:29:57 PM »
Hello Greg and welcome to the forum, do you know Sam Green from Rixton he's done abit of sprinting in his time   ;), cheers Mick.

Offline Greg H

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2012, 02:52:18 PM »
Hello Mick and thanks for the welcome. I don't think that I've met Sam Green , it was back in the late 70s when I used to race my Honda at places such as Elvington,Blyton and York Raceway .However  I do remember some of the guys from back then ,Bob Flewitt and Glen Parker also raced sohc Hondas along with  Andy Capper ,PipHigham ,Jack Valentine , Mick Fancy who rode Suzukis along with other guys who rode a variety of other marques .Happy days . Regards Greg "H"..

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2012, 04:15:59 PM »
Welcome to the forum Greg.

Had an old Piper Cams catalogue/manual of sorts with various stuff in it and a a pic of what looks like a pro-stock K2 running 970 kit I think. Don't know if I still have it.

Offline Greg H

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2012, 04:34:39 PM »
Thanks for the welcome . I've still got the Piper Tuning Manual somewhere . Although I didn't run mine as a Pro Stocker ( I ran it in Road Legal as a 750 which held the class course record at Elvo at one point ) the 970 motor I ran was quit trick and was full of HRC and Yoshi bits . It even had factory engine cases which I'm pretty sure are unobtainable now . 

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2012, 05:42:29 PM »
That sounded quite special, if somebody had those cases I doubt they'd be recognised now.

There was some good exhaust thoery in that Piper book as I remember, I designed and made a few basic systems based on that and they always seemed to work well, critically making good torque and mid range as opposed to just trying to make peak for a road engine.

I lent one to a friend who had drag pipes on a road motor and it seemed to gain just about .5sec over those on a 1/4 mile. (don't think it was set in any way to make any use of the "drag" pipes), the so called drags seemed to be made more for show anyway.

Offline RWG

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2012, 07:12:25 AM »
Welcome Greg, I too am new to forum and I have already had a great deal of good advise and support.
Regards
RWG
Enjoy while you can

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal