Author Topic: Gordons Frame Kit.  (Read 6961 times)

Offline mick

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Gordons Frame Kit.
« on: April 15, 2012, 07:41:23 AM »
Finally got round to dragging my F1 out from the back of the shed to fix a stripped inner spark plug thread yesterday,

i bought a Gordon Frame kit last year or the year before i can't remember ? so i needed to cut the frame to install it,

it was easy to do following the instructions, no special tools needed, masking tape, tape measure, pen, and a hacksaw,

last time i was inside this engine was 20 years ago fitting a cam chain @ 30,000 miles that time we had to take the engine out do the work and refit it,

« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 07:55:16 AM by mick »

Offline Spitfire

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: Gordons Frame Kit.
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012, 08:56:23 AM »
God that looks better Mick, saves stretching the arms !

Cheers

Den
1976 CB750F

1977 CB750F2 In bits

1964 BSA A65R In bits

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2012, 09:07:01 AM »
I have also cut the frames on two of my bikes, but i made up my own style of kit as when i was doing it no one was selling the kits any more
This is one of the best mods you can do it makes for a much easier life,  being able to take off the rocker cover , head and barrells is brilliant , Honda messed up the design a bit with the frame i think
Pete

Offline Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP)

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2012, 10:24:12 AM »
Hi Guys.
I am intrigued by this I assume no longer available?God that would help me with a tiny leak from a cam holder bolt coming down by a centre plug.When I was biking alot in the 70s I had not heard of this kit.Can someone enlighten me when it came about and how much?
Also like to see photo when finished.
Regards
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

Offline kifer

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2012, 11:16:04 AM »
Wow Mick very brave you've been busy,  Def original frame crap design, trying not to mark it when motor being removed,
can we see some pics of replacement spine very interested. Keep up the good work.

Offline Robbo

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2012, 03:37:16 PM »
Does this weaken the frame or make it less stiff?

Offline mick

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2012, 04:58:40 PM »
Hi Robbo doesn't weaken or stiffen the frame but it does make it a lot easier to work on the top end of your engine, saves having to take it out  ;),

Bitsa if you go on to our sister site in the USA and search for Gordons Frame Kits theres plenty of info on them, Gordon & his machinst pal Charles are going to make some more but i'm not sure how many or how much?

this photo shows you what it looks like fitted, cheers Mick.

Offline Greg H

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2012, 05:52:14 PM »
Although I intend building my F1 based pro stock bike to replicate what would have been built in the late 70s I do intend to utilise certain more modern components which will enhance  safety , reliability and ease of maintainance  , and this frame mod is definately going to be one of em  :)

Offline the-chauffeur

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2012, 07:51:11 PM »

Another vote of absolute confidence here.  Frankly, if it hadn't been for this kit, I'd've had to sell the bike by now because of the trouble I've had with head gaskets (see Tips and Tricks) . . .

It makes life so much easier - from top end work like checking the camshaft and oiling and fixing some of the silly top end leaks to engine removal.  Cutting the frame is straightforward enough; fitting the kit requires welding gear. 

I got mine from one of the folks on the US site who ordered a bunch in batches.

Offline kifer

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2012, 10:54:46 PM »
well done Mick, have never seen it done with kit presume it saves you getting the mig out looks the dogs and makes life so much easier  :) :D ;D

Offline mick

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2012, 08:52:14 PM »
Well i have been slowly getting bits done to my F1 over the last few weeks  ;), i've cleaned the pistons, barrels & head up,

renewed the gaskets and o rings etc, had the stripped spark plug thread helicoiled & had her running again with no issues so far  8),

i've had a tidier 4 into 1 hanging in the loft for the last 7 years or so, looks like a Marvin or Alpha ? so i have put that on & made rear hanging bracket & centre stand stop for it,

i've dropped the sump and screen and cleaned them out, treated her to a new spin on filter, i'm going to take the clutch out & inspect it whilst i have chance,

i had a bit of a setback with the front caliper binding, after stripping it down the culprit wasn't hard to find in the form of a rusty piston it gave me chance to refit the original caliper with the new bleed nipple repair kit fitted, i've had a few issues with it weeping at the copper washers on the banjo bolt sorted now just need to get the rest of the air out of the system feels very spongy at the mo,

got the rear caliper to strip clean & inspect & put back together, heres some photos of my progress  ;) cheers Mick.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2012, 01:42:11 AM »
Glad the repair kit worked Ok mate, still got some left if people want one!

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2012, 09:30:19 AM »
Good stuff Mick, its good when you make progress like that
Pete

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal