Author Topic: Silencer preservation suggestions  (Read 2220 times)

Offline wizz

• View Profile
Silencer preservation suggestions
« on: April 22, 2012, 09:06:15 PM »
A hole about 10mm x 5mm has just appeared on the underside of my OEM honda silencer caused i presume water sitting internally  near the front weld seam which seem to be a low point in the silencer, when i started it the other day i notice a fair bit of water under the silencer, on having a closer look i could see water spraying out of a pin pricked sized hole, stuck my nail on it a before i knew it had a 10x15mm hole. obviously i want to try a stop things from getting worse as the rest of the pipe is really nice so any suggestions as to how i can do this and repair the hole
cheers       
'80 CX500A
'80 CB550F2
'73 CB175 K6
'90 VFR750

Offline LesterPiglet

• SOHC Pro
  • 1977 CB550F2
    • View Profile
Re: Silencer preservation suggestions
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2012, 09:37:29 PM »
My only suggestion is to braze a plate over it if it isn't normally visible. Do those silencers have drains in them?
'Then' and 'than' are completely different words and have completely different meanings. Same with 'of' and 'have'. Set and sit. There, their and they're. Set/sit. Bought/brought FFS. Bloody Americans.

Les Ross. Certified by a Professional

Offline wizz

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2012, 11:00:34 PM »
just the one but its not where all the water leaked from so whatever i do i will make sure there is a small drain hole left, would brazing cause any discoloration to the chrome 
'80 CX500A
'80 CB550F2
'73 CB175 K6
'90 VFR750

Offline meerkat

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2012, 11:53:44 PM »
would brazing cause any discoloration to the chrome
Yes it will.
You could try placing pieces of copper (pipe or plate) on the silencer near the heating zone to transfer heat away from the area. Or I would opt for silver soldering (not lead solder) with the smallest gas flame possible to make the join. Tin the patch first away from the silencer then apply the patch to the hole and gently re-heat for the best chance of success. Don't direct the heat into the silencer at 90 degrees, angle the torch away from the chrome to keep the heat to the minimum required. Halfords sell a good chrome type paint (plasti-kote) to paint the patch with later.
Retired and spending my children's inheritance.

Offline Tomb

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2012, 07:14:47 AM »
+1 on the silver solder, that way you can use a stainless steel patch, and polish it up after.
Tom
'73 CB550 with CB500 engine café racer
'62 CB77 Sprinter
'70 CD175
'78 CB550 with sidecar
'80 Z50R
And a load of old Yamaha 1100's

Offline wizz

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2012, 10:13:37 AM »
never done silver soldering before but sounds like a good idea, i'm guessing this is different from soldering with a soldering iron? or is it how about a metal paste to fill the hole not a neat i guess has anyone used this stuff. also i want to try and prevent any further deterioration if i can is putting oil in the silencer a good idea? 
'80 CX500A
'80 CB550F2
'73 CB175 K6
'90 VFR750

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2012, 07:59:38 PM »
Putting oil in the silencer would be okay IF you weren't using it, but it'll smoke like a 2 stroke when it warms up! :-[
If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline Johnwebley

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2012, 09:12:41 PM »
Putting oil in the silencer would be okay IF you weren't using it, but it'll smoke like a 2 stroke when it warms up! :-[

also,try never to ride for shorter distances than 10 mls,and always get the pipes very hot,I will make you smile as well,

just a thought,both David Silver,and CMSNL,have the pipes in stock,at present I think the dutch site is the cheapest
lifelong motorcycle rider,and fan

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal