Author Topic: Oil Leak Stop  (Read 1732 times)

Offline Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP)

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Oil Leak Stop
« on: April 23, 2012, 01:21:40 PM »
Hi Guys,
Just wondered if any body has tried various oil leak stop.All the shops are selling it here,some cheap some bloody expensive.Does it work? Your views.
Regards
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

Offline LesterPiglet

• SOHC Pro
  • 1977 CB550F2
    • View Profile
Re: Oil Leak Stop
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 01:39:31 PM »
I wouldn't touch it. I'd be worried about it stopping oil going around my engine. And how does it fare with a wet clutch?
'Then' and 'than' are completely different words and have completely different meanings. Same with 'of' and 'have'. Set and sit. There, their and they're. Set/sit. Bought/brought FFS. Bloody Americans.

Les Ross. Certified by a Professional

Offline Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP)

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 02:21:32 PM »
Lesterpiglet.

Have a look at ebay item 360390655948 it tells you all the spec.Seems to like all types of oil and
 does not interfere with normal operations of your engine.
Regards
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

Offline LesterPiglet

• SOHC Pro
  • 1977 CB550F2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 02:53:53 PM »
I googled some reviews and wouldn't risk it.
'Then' and 'than' are completely different words and have completely different meanings. Same with 'of' and 'have'. Set and sit. There, their and they're. Set/sit. Bought/brought FFS. Bloody Americans.

Offline UKROBK7

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2012, 08:03:40 PM »
it "restores" the elasticity to rubber type oil seals (swells them), Not certain if it changes viton products (wouldn't think so).  I can't see how it would cure leaks from the gaskets that are fitted to our 4s except for the rocker cover seal.  It was meant for "curing" leaks from crankshaft oil seals etc on cars.  Our local stockist says it works great for that but I wouldn't try it in our engine/gearbox combinations especially with the wet clutch

Now here's a thought; I wonder if it would work on my intake manifold rubbers if I soaked them in it?

Rob

Offline LesterPiglet

• SOHC Pro
  • 1977 CB550F2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2012, 08:48:03 PM »
Some of the comments I read they swelled the rubber up to reseal.....then the seals gave out a few months later. I wouldn't touch it even if I hadn't read that. One guy used it in a syringe for something and it swelled the seal up so much the syringe seized solid.

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2012, 06:10:07 PM »
As there don't seem to be any specific cases of use with these engines I would stay away from it unless you fancy being experimental and putting other areas at risk.

If you are aware of the arrangement and supply of oil to the cam area on these motors you'd be wise to be very cautious in putting that at risk in any way.

You also have non-metallic materials that control camchain tension that could be at risk.

It may work but the downside is potentially much more serious, think about carefully.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal