Author Topic: Master Cylinder  (Read 4076 times)

Offline mickwinf

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Master Cylinder
« on: May 02, 2012, 09:03:33 PM »
Got a problem with the master cyl rebuild, the circlip  that holds the piston in has broken, one of the ends with a hole has snapped off.Any ideas welcome!
Love the 500 and 550 have a 500 called Lazarus under restoration

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Master Cylinder
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 09:16:25 PM »
You could try using a pair of long/fine nosed pliers to pull the remaining hole in the clip away from the wall of the m/cyl, then slide something thin (old feeler gauge?)behind it so the clip can't go back in the groove, then try pulling the feeler gauge round to dislodge the rest of the clip from the groove, has worked for me in the past. Then it should be fairly easy to remove ???
If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline LesterPiglet

• SOHC Pro
  • 1977 CB550F2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2012, 12:11:11 AM »
Hmmm, is it the old one or the new?
'Then' and 'than' are completely different words and have completely different meanings. Same with 'of' and 'have'. Set and sit. There, their and they're. Set/sit. Bought/brought FFS. Bloody Americans.

Les Ross. Certified by a Professional

Offline mickwinf

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2012, 09:01:36 AM »
Les its the spare one i got to replace the broken original, i will try hairygits method, will get the bugger out one way or another, its all part of the fun (or so i tell the wife!)

Offline LesterPiglet

• SOHC Pro
  • 1977 CB550F2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2012, 10:11:34 AM »
I used one of those precision screwdrivers to lever the old one out, you could use a fine punch or scribe.
'Then' and 'than' are completely different words and have completely different meanings. Same with 'of' and 'have'. Set and sit. There, their and they're. Set/sit. Bought/brought FFS. Bloody Americans.

Les Ross. Certified by a Professional

Offline mickwinf

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2012, 07:52:29 PM »
got it out! used a couple of thin screwdrivers and worked it out bit by bit, thanks for encouragement guys,

Offline mickwinf

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2012, 10:12:43 PM »
another query about the master cyl, the little holes that lead from the main resovoir to the tube, only one of these is a through hole, the other is a blind hole (not blocked with debris)is this correct?

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2012, 07:06:59 AM »
NO NO NO, Both have holes BUT the one you think hasn't is VERY tiny and cleans out with a pin, easiest way to check if its clear is put one of thos tidgy torches (turned on of course) over the indentation in the reservoir and see if you can see light looking down the main bore.

Blockage of this hole is the most common cause of the front brake "Hanging On"

Offline mickwinf

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2012, 08:36:55 AM »
thanks Bryan will check it out

Offline mickwinf

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2012, 09:29:37 PM »
Bryan you are right again, the hole is tiny, even a pin was too fat to go through, i used a modelling drill bit size 0.3 mm. Now reassembled and painted, on to the next job!

Offline mickwinf

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2012, 08:51:41 PM »
this brake is starting to anoy me now! Master cyl has been rebuilt, caliper has been refurbished with new piston and seal and bleed nipple.So i thought i would bleed the brakes, should be a simple job.....I pumped fluid through until no bubbles appeared, then tightened up. Result, no brakes, no pressure on the lever at all.Tried several times but no success.so i have left the lever tied up overnight. What anoys me most is why can i fix a cars brake system which is much more complicated but not this simple bike with one caliper! ah well at least there are others out there with similar problems as many posts seem to be about brakes.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2012, 06:28:05 AM »
What i have had to do in the past is put a gloved finger over the threaded oulet hole in the master (pipe disconnected of course) and using the finger like a bleed nipple get the master pushing fluid (finger closing hole, pull in and hold lever, release and replace finger---keep repeating till pressure is felt and fluid squirts not just dribbles).
Then whilst holding the lever in get your trained spider to re-connect teh flaxi pipe an bleed away as normal.

NOTE WELL THE GLOVE IS MOST IMPORTANT UNLESS YOU REALLY WANT TO SUFFER FROM CONTACT DERMATITIS!!!!!! Plus its a good idea to cover over everything that might get squirted.

Offline florence

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2012, 08:37:55 AM »
...and might I say, avoid those 'self bleed' things.  They attempt to save time but usually end up wasting time.  There is no substitute for the laborious process of opening the bleed nipple, pulling lever, hold, tighten bleed nipple, then repeat and repeat etc.  Takes ages but always works...

Offline Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP)

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2012, 08:57:58 AM »
Mickwinf,
Had the same with my 750.What I did was using a pair of grips with rag in the jaws not to damage pipe was to pinch the pipe at the master end and pump the lever until you feel force on the lever then release grips repeating until fluid reaches the bleed nipple.
CAREFUL FLUID BUBBLES OUT OF THE MASTER CYLINDER!!!!!!!
Mine is great this way.
Hope this helps
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

Offline kifer

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2012, 09:17:24 AM »
Hi Mickwinf, Not sure if this will help but I always use a syringe and pull the fluid through very quick and no mess. last used when fitting complete new system with no problems. Good luck.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal