Author Topic: Suggestions invited regarding dilemma  (Read 2546 times)

Offline mexbiker

• View Profile
Suggestions invited regarding dilemma
« on: May 03, 2012, 03:01:22 PM »
Hi,

I am in the process of returning to the UK after an absence of more than 20 years (miss the beer and the weather - before you ask, was not evading the authorities in Marbella!). Have lived / worked for the past 11 years in Mexico, where I made it my duty to try and rescue all old, unloved bikes that I could find - with the result that I have recently shipped to the UK a collection comprising thirteen bikes, mainly Triumphs from the 1960's as well as a couple of Ducatis. Within the collection are a one owner 1976 CB750 K6, with an apparently genuine 5,600 miles and a 1969 CB750 Sandcast - the bike is a genuine Sandcast, the numbers having been checked with cb750sandcastonly.com of which I am a member. I purchased the bike from the original owner in Mexico who was in his 70's - he had covered around 47,000 km (around 30,000 miles) before he decided to give up biking. He knew the bike was rare and valuable, having imported it new into Mexico and took advice from Steve Swan before selling - I was just fortunate to be in Mexico when the vendor decided to sell!

The CB750 K6, as you will see, is largely original and requires only basic recommissioning (the gaffer tape on the saddle is a nice touch!), but the Sandcast requires more. It ran when I purchased it 4/5 years ago and, in fact, I rode it home, but it is clear that it needs some work, not least the removal of the hideous Vetter Windjammer fairing!! All of the original pipes are paper thin and perforated, the paintwork and brightwork are faded, there is a weep from the fork seals and the vendor told me that the cam chain was rattly and had run out of adjustment on the tensioner.

Now to my dilemma - all the bikes were purchased with the intention of me restoring them and enjoying them, but the realization has dawned on me that this is not going to be possible - whilst I am about to return to live in the UK, my work will involve extensive travel. Aside from the Ducati's which have already been re-commissioned and are awaiting UK registration, I am inclined to keep a couple of bikes to restore myself in the future and ride and sell some of the remainder. I

I know the values that Sandcasts attract, particularly in the USA, but also know that the cost of purchasing the parts needed (£800 alone for an exhaust system!!) - I fear that if I restored the Sandcast, I would be too scared to take her out on the road or park her in public. The K6 on the other hand, is a gorgeous bike, requires little to get her back on the road. On this basis, I am inclined to consider selling the Sandcast and keeping the K6 to ride and enjoy - what would you do in my shoes??

All comment / suggestions welcome!!! (except those contending that I am a lucky bar steward!)

Cheers!

Richard

]
]

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestions invited regarding dilemma
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2012, 03:08:10 PM »
Unless you have a real yearning to ride a sandcast, I'd sell it and use the money for the K6, and a fair few beers too! The sandcasts are the epitome of the CB750, but as you've found, parts are scarce and expensive, and if you keep it and are too worried to ride it, it may as well be in a museum :'(. Also, by the time the K6 was built, Honda had sorted all the little niggles of the early ones, and so is generally easier to get parts for ;D
If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP)

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2012, 03:30:02 PM »
Plus one with Hairygit.
Just got back riding my k4 thoroughly enjoyed it.Back in the time off the k0 came out I was working my way up the ccs when I got to the 750cc I was already too late the k2 was out then.
As my dear old mum always said what you ain't had you ain't missed.
Best off luck with whatever you do.
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

Offline kifer

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2012, 03:52:17 PM »
Wow What a dilemma to be in, Unless you need the money or don,t have the space give it a good old spray with ACF and keep it the bikes I have sold and regretted sold my Honda Britain after 19 years big mistake. Have a long think before you decide. Good luck and sorry but you are a lucky bar stuard  ;D

Offline mick

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2012, 04:07:02 PM »
Nice collection of bikes you have there Richard  8), i to would sell the sandcast & ride the K6,

they are going mad for Sandcasts in the States and also back in Japan  ;),

like Kifers says have a good think about before you do it  :), cheers Mick.

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2012, 04:54:06 PM »
I love the sandcast as it is with fairing and panniers, but have to agree that the sale of this will fund the restoration work of quite a few other projects, if you can afford to keep the sandcast it would be better than money in the bank the way interest rates are at the moment
Pete

Offline RupertB

• SOHC Associate
  • If a hammer won't fix it, then it's electrical.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2012, 09:57:36 PM »
Bit late replying but what a dilemma! Personally I hate selling bikes (apart from an RD250 I had in 1980!) and would keep both, but then again if you can get silly money for it without spending a penny on it then that is probably the best course. And there are people who will spend daft (in my opinion) amounts on some stuff. I was on the point of skipping the Henry Abe wheels on my CB, then nearly kept them, then put them on ebay and they went to Japan for over 700 quid! Paid for some nice spoked ones and money left over. 
Author of 'Prisoners Property and Prostitutes' by Tom Ratcliffe. You'll enjoy it and I need the money.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal