Author Topic: First start up since October last year  (Read 1659 times)

Offline basketcase

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
First start up since October last year
« on: May 19, 2012, 05:54:29 PM »
Just dragged my K3 out of the garage from under a pile of boxes, turned on the petrol, pulled the choke out and it started!!!!  I thought that the fuel would have go off, flat battery, all sorts but no, in she fired!!I`ll have to arrange for the MOT now! Can`t believe it, she even settled down to an even tick over, it didn`t do that before! I`ve even bought a carb rebuild kit before Christmas in the hope of getting time to rebuild them. Looks like I`ll have to polish her now :( Last MOT, in october 2010 I had an advisory about the exhausts leaking but not excessively noisy, she still sounds fantastic on the origimal 4-4`s but they are past their best. I`ve a Marving waiting in the wings, see what the MOT inspector says about that!!!!! Can`t wait to swing a leg over her ;)
Do or do not...there is no try!

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: First start up since October last year
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2012, 06:06:39 PM »
Just goes to show, you can't keep a good bike down! ;D Do make a point of changing the oil and filter before you start to ride it though, and maybe top the tank up with fresh fuel, then get out and enjoy the summer! Good luck with the M.O.T. tester and the Marving ???
If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2012, 07:43:15 PM »
Good luck with the MOT basketcase, the good weather is coming so you can enjoy riding the K3
Pete

Offline basketcase

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2012, 07:55:32 PM »
Going to try the MOT with the originals first but don`t know whether to rebuild the carbs anyway. I only just managed to get home on the last ride out.
The only thing bothering me is that the rebuild kit I bought off fleabay last year states that it`s for a 74-76 Honda CB550K/F. I always thought that they each had a different set up. Plus I said that my bike was a 77 model. Will it make any difference using this kit?

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2012, 01:41:50 AM »
The K3 from77/78 is totaly different from the kits you have which are for the US 550K0/1/2 and the 550F

Offline florence

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2012, 09:40:10 AM »
Where are you planning to go for MOT?  GV Bikes in Taunton is a friendly place.

Offline basketcase

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2012, 11:04:45 AM »
I took the Matchless to Total Triumph, it`s only down the road from where I live in Oake. Someone at work suggested going there, says that it`s near the railway station. Still finding my feet around here!!

Bugger!! Looks like I have a carb rebuild kit for sale then!!! Back to the ultrasonic cleaner for the idle jets, and a fine piece of wire.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal