Author Topic: new clutch not working on F2  (Read 1476 times)

Offline simongi

• View Profile
new clutch not working on F2
« on: May 20, 2012, 11:32:47 AM »
I have just put in new clutch plates on my F2 rebuild. I soaked them in oil before installation.  Now its in and cabled up it doesn't seem to work. I was a bit suspicious when I fitted it as the adjustment screw had to wound in below the outer side of the locking nut. I stripped it out again thinking I had missed a part out, but checking the parts list it all seems okay. Am I missing something here. There is no oil in the engine yet, but surely the clutch should work at this stage. Any idea's anyone????

Cheers

Simon

Offline Seamus

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
Re: new clutch not working on F2
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 05:07:57 PM »
Do you mean that it does not disengage?

If so, your symptoms do suggest something missing. Do you have any pictures?

Offline simongi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2012, 05:32:48 PM »
Hi Semus

No it does not seem to disengage, and the lever doesn't feel right when you pull it in. As you pull it the cam in the case is turning but does not seem to be pushing the clutch apart if that makes sense!!

I'm in the middle of stripping it out again to see If I've missed something really stupid. I'll let you know how I get on
Thanks.  Simon

Offline Seamus

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2012, 11:27:10 AM »
I assume that you have a proper Honda manual and parts book for reference.

As it worked prior to the strip, it must be something either mis aligned or missing now (I hope)

Offline Waggles

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2012, 09:16:37 AM »
Something I doscovered during my F1 build was that despite the fact that there are 4 bolts holding the clutch plates 'together' you cannot fit the clutch inner and outer together in anyway you like, get it wrong, like I did, and the splines don't engage properly at the back and the clutch will not disengage. Try slackening it off and reassembling again with the basket 90 degrees out to the way you have it now, it might improve things

Offline simongill

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2012, 03:57:42 PM »
Thanks waggled, thats exactly what as happened. Finally stripped it out this morning and found this the problem.Assembled properly and is now working. What a dick!!

Just the carbs to do and she may be running soon. Can't wait now

Cheers
Simon. :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal