Author Topic: British summer time!!  (Read 4624 times)

Offline basketcase

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
British summer time!!
« on: June 26, 2012, 06:21:37 PM »
Am I wasting my time insuring and M-O-T ing my bike ??!! The M-O-T ran out in October last year and the insurance has just run out, but looking at the weather forecast I can`t see any use in spending over £120 getting the bike ready for the road when I can`t use it!! May as well sell my pride and joy and buy a classic car instead, at least I won`t get wet!!
Rant over :)
Do or do not...there is no try!

Offline Tomb

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
Re: British summer time!!
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 07:37:53 PM »
Give the middle finger to the weather, buy some waterproofs and get out on the bike. We only come this way once, this ain't no dress rehearsal ;)

I've just been to a rally in Belgium, pissed it down lots, had a fantastic rally ;D

Tom
'73 CB550 with CB500 engine café racer
'62 CB77 Sprinter
'70 CD175
'78 CB550 with sidecar
'80 Z50R
And a load of old Yamaha 1100's

Offline mick

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 09:19:48 PM »
My bikes are Taxed & mot'd & insured all year round  8), bought myself a decent quilted oversuit ,over boots & gloves for the rainy days  ;), cheers Mick.

Offline meerkat

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2012, 09:06:48 AM »
My bikes are Taxed & mot'd & insured all year round  8), ------------------------------- cheers Mick.
Same here - I ride my bikes all year round except for the 400/4 which I don't ride in the rain if I can avoid it.
It's ironic and annoying that the price of petrol is falling at the same time as the damn rain. >:(
Retired and spending my children's inheritance.

Offline totty

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2012, 12:05:05 PM »
I'm selling my classic car to concentrate on my bikes, but I've got to admit it's a lot more pleasant in the car when it's wet. I ride for transport in the wet or even snow when required, but I never ride for fun in the wet.

Offline basketcase

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2012, 05:32:49 PM »
I`ve spent too long riding in the rain, and falling off....painful hips and knees now plus I`ve spent a fortune on powdercoating, chrome, paint etc to ruin it all with a good soaking!!
Not long sold my old Matchless `cos I didn`t ride it as often as I`d have liked, don`t think that I`ll go down that route with the Honda though. It`s always been my favourite bike....ever!!

Do or do not...there is no try!

Offline kifer

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2012, 09:08:43 PM »
I'm working this weekend so get your bikes ready its going to be sunny  :(
This thread takes me back to feet down in the snow those were the days [ I think ]

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2012, 10:29:55 PM »
I use my bikes all year round cos I don't drive, cannt say I set out without need in the rain, but there are plenty of times I've been out and stayed dry this last few years, in fact Ive only needed my waterproofs a few dozen times all year. lidl do good waterproofs for an even better price, mine are 3 years old and still watertight eve though they go everywhere in my tankbag 9if I'm not wearing them). my 500/4 lived and commuted in all weathers and stayed looking ok as long as I kept up washing with wash and wax shampoo once a week in winter plus a coating of duck oil afterwards. I do not however restor bikes, I prefer patina from use so a blemish in the chrome is't a worry - its not an investment, its fun plus transport with a dash of recreation and hobby mixed in.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline florence

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2012, 07:27:14 PM »
I heartily agree, my bike gets mended only when completely essential, which reminds me, my saddle is now finally falling apart;  this evening, when I arrived home from the shops, I noticed the top part is almost coming away.  I'm not sure what to do, maybe I could make something from some old leather.

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2012, 11:43:49 PM »
black vinyl fabric from fabric shop is what I use, costs £3 / meter off the roll or something like that, easy to streach over the seat, if you are lucky the tabs will still be good, if not inpact adhesive will do, but rivetts are quite effective (I normally use a combination) I genrally give the steelwork a good wire brushing and braze up / patch any rot at the same time. the result is genrally good for quite some time.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline Tomb

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2012, 10:39:04 AM »
I do the same on seats, vinyl from local market stall, I use a hot glue gun to hold it in place, normally burning my fingers in the process as you hold the cover in place and realise you can't let go if you want the cover in the right place and your skin is getting hotter and hotter LOL ;D

I'm now moulding new seat bases in GRP from an old base as the mould, the hot glue gun is perfect for holding the covers to the fibreglass

Sorry, I know, waaaaaaaaay off topic :-X
Tom
'62 CB77 Sprinter
'70 CD175
'78 CB550 with sidecar
'80 Z50R
And a load of old Yamaha 1100's

Offline meerkat

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2012, 09:28:00 PM »
Did someone say Summer ?
2" of rain in 2 hours yesterday in Kendal.
I'd started to strip the roof off my 'workshop'  because it was leaking slightly.
Now I can't finish the job until it dries out again.

Baaaaaah! >:( >:( >:(
Retired and spending my children's inheritance.

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2012, 11:32:43 AM »
I'm fairly convinced it's all my families fault, we are re roofing our house, might as well do a 4 week rain dance.......

Offline Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP)

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2012, 02:45:57 PM »
Sorry to rub it in but one of the reasons I moved to France was the rain.Today its 26 degrees and went for a ride around and ended up at my local bar.Its got to change for you some time.I blame it on the Olympics the weather is always bad when there is a major tournament in the UK.Still miss my best bitter though.Keep your chins up.
Regards
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

Offline Tomb

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2012, 04:46:58 PM »
I'm at a rally again, its been sunny so far :D
Tom
'62 CB77 Sprinter
'70 CD175
'78 CB550 with sidecar
'80 Z50R