Author Topic: Timing problems  (Read 3099 times)

Offline UKROBK7

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
Timing problems
« on: June 28, 2012, 07:42:40 PM »
I am having problems getting the 2-3 points on the 750 to adjust.  They need to move anti-clockwise (about 10-15 degrees) further than the adjustment allows so obviously something is wrong.  Points 1-4 set up OK.  The points plate is new so I thought it would be a quick install but I have been at this for ages!!  Everything looks OK, I am now wondering if someone replaced the advance/retard mech' as the locating pin is a little small for the crankshaft hole and does not give a positive fit - is there any way of identifying the correct one?.

Before I stripped the bike I found the old plate had the 2-3 points on full anticlockwise adjustment as well.

Any ideas?

Offline Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP)

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Timing problems
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2012, 08:30:58 AM »
Rob.The correct advancer should have 300 stamped on it.I have tried to fit aftermarket plate points etc and ended up fitting Honda parts and guess what they worked no problems,
Hope this helps
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

Offline UKROBK7

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2012, 09:06:44 AM »
Thanks Bitsa, mine is stamped 300 so thats OK.  I bought a pattern points setup as I was going to change to electronic ignition after I get the engine running correctly (engine and carbs fully rebuilt and waiting to go into frame) and didn't want to spend too much money.  Silvers say they have never had problems with these.

I am going to have another go this morning and see what happens, I think the fibre/plastic part of the pattern points has been moulded too short.

Rob

Offline Waggles

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2012, 10:31:46 AM »
Firstly, pattern points have been known to cause problems like this, seems a shame to get some if you are going for and electro set up, might save some of your hair though ......

Other things that can cause this problem are badly fitting back plate, check gap between edge of plate and the casting where the attachment screws are, this should be no more than 0.1mm according to 'Hondaman', too much slack means the points spring force can move the whole plate down and retard ignition. You can get round this by putting a shim in the bottom gaps while you adjust, then remove once plate tightened. Finally, is your shaft bent? this can happen if you use the points cam nut to turn the motor anti clockwise ( or other less than gentle practises  ::) )

Offline Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP)

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2012, 02:30:42 PM »
Waggles is right the pattern points plate wobbles around like a dick in a wellington boot.Ditch it for a genuine one albeit s/hand.As it wobbles it naffs up the points gap.
Best of Luck
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

Offline UKROBK7

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2012, 09:23:47 PM »
Thanks for the advice.  I have managed to get the engine timed this morning but the adjustments are nearly on their limits.

Waggles, the pattern back plate does move around and I put a shim at the top to hold it in place against the lower fixings, I don't know if putting the shim at the bottom would have improved the timing setup for me, I never thought to try.  The original Honda TEC plate is a better fit, but not much.  I checked the shaft when I rebuilt the engine and it wasn't bent.  Hopefully I will get the bike finished and on the road with this points setup and then I can sort things out properly.

Offline Waggles

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2012, 08:19:11 AM »
Think shimming at the bottom would improve matters as the points tend to push the back plate down anyway.

Bit unsure about what you do with yer wellies bitsa  ;D

Offline UKROBK7

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2012, 07:26:55 PM »
Just ordered 2 genuine point sets from the US (cheap!!) so I will strip everything down when (IF) they arrive and start again.

Rob

Offline Waggles

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2012, 07:12:18 AM »
Hope they are still cheap when HMRC have had their whack  ;)

Offline Tomb

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2012, 07:19:58 AM »
I've just had to pay £40 to Customs on a big bore kit I bought thinking it was a good price >:(
Tom
'73 CB550 with CB500 engine café racer
'62 CB77 Sprinter
'70 CD175
'78 CB550 with sidecar
'80 Z50R
And a load of old Yamaha 1100's

Offline bluemouse1006

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2012, 08:47:34 AM »
Tomb

I had the same when I bought a electronic ignition from the US I had to pay £30 for a part that cost £75 ! Ripping off gits

Amos
Amos

Offline mick

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2012, 09:43:51 AM »
Regarding getting stuff from the states i have had to pay duty on some stuff, but not all my stuff?

i've had some big boxes seats etc get through ok & smaller stuff left alone ?

i have also found that if you get the seller to mark the package as vintage motorcycle parts & gift it helps,  ;)cheers Mick. 

Offline Tomb

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2012, 10:31:16 AM »
Yep I've asked loads of times for the seller to tick the "gift" box, they never do. I've had quite a lot of stuff through without any charges so I shouldn't complain, but £40 on top of what I paid was takin the piss >:(
Tom
'73 CB550 with CB500 engine café racer
'62 CB77 Sprinter
'70 CD175
'78 CB550 with sidecar
'80 Z50R
And a load of old Yamaha 1100's

Offline UKROBK7

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2012, 01:24:14 PM »
When I last rang the Customs & Excise about this I was told that the Customs charge you when their "take" is above a certain amount (it used to be something like £5).  The value they work on INCLUDES the postage charge and the rate they charge you is the same as our VAT rate.  In addition, you pay a collection fee to the post office or courier (ie DHL), this is included in the total charge (was £8).  The collection fee is higher if an express delivery service was used.  It is a bit hit or miss as not all packages seem to be caught in the system (after saying that, I have always had to pay if its DHL etc)

I understand that if its a business you are buying from its risky for them to put a low value or "gift" on the paperwork as some of the packages get inspected at the US exit point and they are then liable to court action.

I always work out the possible charges before bidding then if it gets through with no charges then I have won!

Rob

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal