Author Topic: Battery question  (Read 2310 times)

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Battery question
« on: June 29, 2012, 02:29:30 PM »
I know there have been some battery discusions here but would like any suggestions of what to use i.e. gell type etc from someone who has fitted any types recently.

Just a standard size battery for K2-750 I'm after so if you have had a good experience in buying more recently and good performance I'd appreciate it if you can post it for me.

Thanks for any replys, they're all appreciated whatever your view.

Nigel.

Offline Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP)

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Battery question
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2012, 02:37:46 PM »
k2 k6
I have recently bought a gel type for my xjr1300 which stands for weeks without being ridden and also a acid type for my k4 750.Alot may question this but I have charged the acid one more than the gel.With ignition off on the yam its still using power for the immobiliser as nought on the Honda.I guess its for me 70/30 for the gel though not as cheap.
Hope this helps
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

Offline mick

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2012, 02:56:31 PM »
Hi Nigel, i've just replaced the battery on my Kettle and went for one of these, it was a bit dearer than the normal acid filled ones but the beauty of it is that it also fits my old Hondas so i have 1 battery to fit 3 bikes if needed  8), cheers Mick.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/270912527607
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 02:58:25 PM by mick »

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2012, 04:48:39 PM »
Me too!

I put one of those yellow Motobatts on my Triumph Tiger 1050
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline steff750

• SOHC Expert
  • THE POWER OF DREAMS
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2012, 08:26:09 AM »
http://www.eBay.co.UK/itm/270912527607
yes the technology has certainly moved on in the electrical department, i have used gel batteries on all my CB750's for quite a few years now with no problems, i cant see me ever going back to acid batteries i might even try them yellow ones next. just doing my bit to save the planet  ::)
« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 09:35:56 AM by steff750 »

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2012, 09:19:13 PM »
Thankyou all for your informed responses, like you Mick I was playing with using one battery for a couple of bikes as it's the same type for my CBX-750.

I'll go for the yellow Moto-batt I think as the cost seems fairly close to a decent acid one.

Many thanks.......nigel.

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2012, 10:33:00 PM »
i bought a cheap lead acid battery on ebay 3 years ago for £21 + free delivery, it is still going strong, i used to by varta batteries they are ok, the only gel battery i bought was awfull, i think it was Lucas, it only lasted a year,  total shyte
I might ty a moto-batt  gel next to see how things have come on

Offline Waggles

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2012, 08:28:02 AM »
I am on an 'El cheapo' lead acid at the mo, but can't comment on life as its only been on the road 4 months, but it seems OK so far, even when I forget the kill switch and churn it over for a bit  ;)

I think gel types are better ( I have one fitted to my boat and thats lasted years with only a wind charger that trickle charges only ) the only thing I have heard negative is that if you overcharge a gel type at 15 volts or more it can destroy it whereas a lead acid is a bit more tolerant ( in fact some scholls of thought say your SHOULD do that to an acid type periodically, not that I would recommend it! ) so as long as your regulator etc is OK, I'd go for a gel type next ( I was just keeping rebuild costs down ) worth it for no spill / maintenance too!

Offline UKROBK7

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2012, 07:35:30 PM »
I need a battery for mine so this thread started me looking as I fancy a GEL type.  What I have found on the manufacturers sites is that the GEL type should not be overcharged, the voltage should not exceed 14.4 volts or they will vent to atmosphere to release the gas pressure.  Too much of this causes them to fail, so your charging circuit needs to be good.  Also one site said not to use any type of trickle charger on their batteries.  My local Honda dealer said they have had a number of cases where the GEL batteries have suddenly failed and the regulator was found to be faulty.

Rob

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal