Author Topic: Largest rear tyre that will fit on 18' comstars cb 750  (Read 994 times)

Offline bluemouse1006

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
Largest rear tyre that will fit on 18' comstars cb 750
« on: July 13, 2012, 07:04:27 PM »
As you can see from my other topics I'm having a job converting my rear wheel etc with disc brake ,I also need new tyres n the end and am looking at getting a wider rear tyre on the rear for better handling etc ,at it will look a lot better as the 120 tyre is very thin ..
Anyone done anything like this ??

Cheers

Amos
Amos

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: Largest rear tyre that will fit on 18' comstars cb 750
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2012, 11:51:56 PM »
You'll need to look carefully at the clearences around anything like the swing arm at the frame end torque arm or equivalent parts for disk brakes and do bear in mind that everything needs minimum 5mm to the sides and 10 on the rolling diameter as tyres distort at speed or high tempreature. Handling wise the std tyre is perfectly adequate, same size as bmw tourers like I used to ride and those handled like they were on rails, even fully loaded, 2 up plus luggage and doing 90mph on twisty back roads. Other thing is rim desighn / tyre desighn - things can go bang if you push the limmits of the desighn speck, I've had this happen on a 500 and was fortunate to have a sidecar fitted to hold things steady but the forces involved did break about 25% of my spokes before I stopped. If you want to alter much then look at fitting different wheels altogether. (best bet for comstars might be goldwing if they are any wider, if not at least it will give a very firm indication of the max safe limmit.)
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal