Author Topic: What would you do?  (Read 2300 times)

Offline Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP)

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
What would you do?
« on: July 15, 2012, 01:15:07 PM »
Hi Guys,
I have a dilemma what would you do taking in to consideration I am not young anymore suffer with back pain and this guy offers me.
He wants me to restore his k2 750 he will do all sand blasting etc all the paint work no chrome work involved all good I just strip it replace chains rollers etc and put it back together.For my work he will give me a CB550k all there with 4 pipes OK not perfect but none the less not a bad looking bike.I have still not finished my k4 tiny oil leak to fix but its engine out yet again.Is the 550 worth the effort?You comments good or bad welcome.
Cheers
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

Offline mick

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: What would you do?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2012, 01:32:50 PM »
Id do it Bitsa, the 550 is probably worth at least £500/600 bottom line probably more, if its only your time take your time & don't do yerself in doing it  ;),

is that your choice of tool on the seat  ;), cheers Mick.

Offline Tomb

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2012, 02:32:18 PM »
It depends on how much you earn at work.

I can do a weekend overtime on breakdown cover and earn what the 550 is worth, I'm pretty sure the K2 will take a lot more work than a weekends overtime, so to me its not worth it. I've pretty much stopped working on "customers" bikes.

However, if you enjoy doing the work and you get a free 550 out of it, go for it

(BTW, please don't think I'm rich, eldest daughter just graduated and the next in 1st year uni, then eldest daughter asks for deposit to buy a house, makes for a poor man :-[)
Tom
'73 CB550 with CB500 engine café racer
'62 CB77 Sprinter
'70 CD175
'78 CB550 with sidecar
'80 Z50R
And a load of old Yamaha 1100's

Offline mickwinf

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2012, 04:13:57 PM »
sounds like a good deal you could make money just selling for spares, 550 k exhausts go for good money, or another fun rebuild!
Love the 500 and 550 have a 500 called Lazarus under restoration

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2012, 04:57:21 PM »
Do It as long as he supplies all the parts you say it needs

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2012, 09:00:44 AM »
First off thanks to you guys for your advice.After thinking about it and reading your views and my ole Lady saying it will give me something to do in winter (winter is long and boring here}I have decided to go for it.Mick that is his choice of tool maybe that's why he asked me to do it.Bryanj you bet he does and Mickwinf,Tomb knowing me I will have a go at another restore or break it if it gets expensive.Again cheers guys
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2012, 03:54:32 PM »
Try and get the sidepanel as well as they aint easy to find and there is nowt wrong with that tool-----at least its got soft ends!!

Offline Seamus

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2012, 10:30:55 PM »
Did a restore on someone's K2 a couple of years ago, really took my time and did everything carefully.

If it is not good enough for your bike it certainly is bad for someone else's as these things can come back and bite you on the bum. If in doubt change it, and you can be sure that once started, things turn up unexpectantly. keep good communication, especially over parts (as these do get expensive) and let him know what is happening. Photographing things and copying him in is a good move as he can see the ammount of your time that has been invested as well as the quality of your work.

I discovered lots of little things that had been "fixed" by the PO that had to be refixed correctly, so the whole thing can become a journey of discovery. (eg the swinging arm bushes were knackered even though it had passed the MoT. It was the corrosion inside that stopped the play being discovered)

Good luck with the project

Seamus

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2012, 08:32:36 AM »
Thanks guys.
Seamus we think alike that's exactly what I was going to do.Some of the days the owner will be there so when I need a decision it will be down to him.Bryanj the side panels are there thank Christ I know can be mega bucks.
Cheers
Bitsa

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal