Author Topic: Rebuild Honda CB 750 F1 electrical wiring issue  (Read 2306 times)

Offline Tony62

• View Profile
Rebuild Honda CB 750 F1 electrical wiring issue
« on: July 18, 2012, 11:31:44 AM »
I am rebuilding a CB750 F1 and have bought replacement digital clocks but I have having an issue wiring these up. Any hints? This is a single horn model, the issue I have is the 3 switch position (ignition off, park, ignition on) and getting the clocks to work. I can see how to connect the earth, live but not the 3rd lead (12+)

Has anyone done this and can you advise me.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Rebuild Honda CB 750 F1 electrical wiring issue
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2012, 03:54:16 PM »
One of the lives will need to be "Permanent" I.E. from the red at the switch; the other live will need to be "Switched" I.E. from the Black at the switch, you will have to sort out which is which from the instructions. Green in the loom is earth.

Should you remove the battery blow a fuse and/or it drop below a certain voltage the clocks will loose all their "Memory" and settings which is a pain and why they ain't used on bikes that often

Offline Tony62

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2012, 05:56:30 PM »
I have connected according to the instructions, however, when key is in the on position, there is no switchable live. It is the original loom for the bike, and I can't identify the switchable "Live" which is normally the brown wire which doesn't work. If the ignition is turned to Park, the clocks work.

Offline Spitfire

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2012, 07:00:15 PM »
Hi Tony, there is no "magic bullet", when I rebuilt mine I had a duff ignition switch and had to replace it, then despite cleaning every electrical connector on the wiring loom (WD40, Dremel, Brillo pads, dielectric grease etc) while it was off the bike, I still had a problem with power to the rear light, in the end I had to trace each wire and connection using the wiring diagram to get everything working. It can be a bit slow, as to digital clocks that is nuclear physics to me!

Cheers

Den
1976 CB750F

1977 CB750F2 In bits

1964 BSA A65R In bits

Offline kifer

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2012, 11:15:27 PM »
Would go for belling wires out as per diagram, jot it down for future ref. just don't have wiring to digital clocks connected when using multimeter

Offline Tony62

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2012, 10:51:58 PM »
Thanks for all the help. Issue now resolved, black wire was switchable +ve, once I'd accounted for tat and checked connections, everything works as it should.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal