Author Topic: Scumbags in Hastings  (Read 4184 times)

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Scumbags in Hastings
« on: July 19, 2012, 09:44:18 AM »
Went to visit my mum in Hastings last weekend, took my 750 F1, and it performed superbly on the way down (250 miles from where I live in Devon). Anyway, went to visit an old mate while I was there, and when I came back to the bike, some Bas***d had stolen my front caliper >:( Local police just gave me a crime number on the phone, they couldn't spare anyone to come and see me :o. My insurance company was the biggest shock, they didn't want to know, as 1, the bike itself wasn't stolen, 2, the small print on the policy states that the theft cover does not apply between 10p.m. and 6 a.m. if the bike is not locked in a garage :'(. Luckily I'm a member of the AA, and they ferried the bike and me back to Devon :). Managed to find a used caliper on E-Bay, paid £53 for it, knowing the bleed nipple was sheared. It arrived yesterday, what the seller failed to mention was the fact he had tried to get the nipple out, and had snapped an easy out screw extractor in it :'( So, anyone got any ideas on how to remove it, it's broken flush with the top of the nipple so I can't try using a punch to tap it round, and it's too hard to drill it out. I have found a seller on E-Bay in germany who has a few NOS calipers, but at 380 euros each (about £330) plus postage, I can't afford to justify spending that sort of cash at the moment
If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP)

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Scumbags in Hastings
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2012, 10:03:13 AM »
Hairygit.
Sorry to hear of your loss your right scumbags.Many moons ago where I lived there was a multi storey car park and that had a nickname of Pentagon spares.Someone has probably nicked yours to order or keep watching you know what.Bye the way I bet nobody saw bugger all.
Hope you get sorted soon.
Regards
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

Offline kifer

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2012, 10:28:38 AM »
Wow, Your lucky the fookers left the bike. Not much room to work on the caliper presume the easy out is fluted you could try drilling down the flutes? but I suspect you will req a bush by the time you have removed old nipple. You could give DK Motorcycles 01782 338707  a ring they may have a good second hand one. I have had all sorts off them good lads always try to help. Good luck.

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2012, 10:31:35 AM »
Sadly it's NOT fluted, otherwise I'd have been in there with th punch, there isn't any bit sticking up, it's totally flat >:(
If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline Tomb

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2012, 11:04:33 AM »
Sorry to hear that Hairy

The way my insurance was explained to me by my insurer was   .......If the vehicle is at my home it has to be kept in a locked garage between 10pm and 6am, if its not at home, like at a rally, or Euro trip you obviously can't lock it your garage every night, then its OK to not be in a locked garage during those hours. I would go back to your insurers and check that small print again. EG does it have European travel cover? mine does, so that automatically moots the locked garage clause whilst not at home.

Many times I've used masonry drills, the ones with tungsten carbide tips brazed in, ground a proper sharp edge onto them, (this is possible with a normal carborundum wheel but better with a diamond wheel.)

These sharpened drills will drill an easy-out ('kin hate that name, when EVER have they been "easy-out", shite things >:()
Be sure to use coolant, the tips get hot enough to melt the braze, don't ask me how I know :P

The other option, is there any little engineering places near, Toolmakers? they'll have a spark eroder which will rip the thing out in minutes
Tom
'73 CB550 with CB500 engine café racer
'62 CB77 Sprinter
'70 CD175
'78 CB550 with sidecar
'80 Z50R
And a load of old Yamaha 1100's

Offline Spitfire

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2012, 11:12:45 AM »
I knew F1 front calipers were like rocking horse poo from trying to source a spare one for my bike, but having one stolen like that is terrible, the really bad thing is that this must have been done by a "fellow" biker who knew exactly what he was after. I have heard of side panels and mirrors being stolen but a caliper is a first. Hope your replacement one works out.

Cheers

Den
1976 CB750F

1977 CB750F2 In bits

1964 BSA A65R In bits

Offline mick

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2012, 01:21:53 PM »
Sorry to hear some scumbag has been messing with your bike Twats, have a word with Bryanj he has some Bleed nipple repair kits for sale will save you having to buy another Caliper, cheers Mick.

Offline meerkat

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2012, 03:29:38 PM »
The other option, is there any little engineering places near, Toolmakers? they'll have a spark eroder which will rip the thing out in minutes.
Sorry to hear about the theft.
As Tomb states, spark erosion is definitely the way to go, even if you have to post it.
Retired and spending my children's inheritance.

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2012, 09:13:57 PM »
Thats Bad news, and as den says it has to be a fellow biker who knows how difficult these are to get hold of, i try not to leave any of  my classic bikes unatended as unlike newer bikes they are irreplaceble, i suppose you were lucky in some respects that they did not take more or even the whole bike, good luck with the repair of your new caliper, the best way is spark erroding but it is going to add a bit to the cost making your caliper even more expensive, i would not bother drilling as its going to result in tears, it did for me
Pete

Offline Waggles

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2012, 07:43:21 AM »
Crap luck Hairy, and typical insurance company response. Rather negates using a classic bike for transport if you can't go anywhere without a garage doesn't it.

For what its worth I agree with the others, spark erosion is the way to go and cheaper than a new caliper.

May 1,000 elephants crap upon the scumbags bike, preferably while he is on it.

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2012, 08:58:48 AM »
Is there enough near the surface to blob some weld on there to get something to grip on? I hate easy outs, I can think of few if any occasions they have ever worked, if somit is loose enough for them to take effect it genrally comes out at the drilling stage. Spark erosion definately carries lowest risk of futher thread dammage.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline UKROBK7

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2012, 09:19:04 AM »
Put a nut over it and weld the nut to the easyout (try a repair shop or SMALL garage if  you haven't a welder).  You might be able to turn the lot out using the nut.

Offline Waggles

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2012, 09:52:45 AM »
On a slightly different tack this is a good reason for security marking your bikes parts. Whilst it wont actually stop a determined thief some may be deterred by it and you may stand a chance of getting your bits back if they are found or you suspect where they may have gone ( seeing them on e-bay for example ) I got an 'invisible' dna marker set free from Carole Nash insurers, am sure you can get them elsewhere, the fluid contains microscopic discs that flouresce under UV and are coded to your reg no. I shall be marking my brake parts too this weekend!  Anything we can do to ruin a scumbags day is a good thing.

I must admit I had in mind more that the bike might be stolen and broken for spares, hadn't thought the b*****s would just strip off parts at the roadside or wherever

Online florence

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2012, 11:37:24 AM »
I know it is not the correct way but until you can afford a better solution you could get a combined banjo bolt/bleed nipple.  I have one on mine and it works very well and seems easier to bleed the brakes.

Offline Robbo

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2012, 01:11:35 PM »
Having grown up in Hastings I feel for you! Whenever I go back on my bike I lock it up out of sight.
I might have a spare F2 calliper, I'll have a look later on - if it fits and it's not f@@ked you can have it

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal