Author Topic: Dremel kits  (Read 3375 times)

Offline Goose

• View Profile
Dremel kits
« on: July 19, 2012, 04:43:31 PM »
I'm about to start stipping the old manky and flakey paint off the engine and thought one of these dremel tools would do the trick. I've had a quick look on the website and  there are dozens of varieties. I need the kit that does basic sanding with a polishing attachment - anone got one who can tell me what the best combination is?

thanks

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
Re: Dremel kits
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2012, 06:30:23 PM »
I've found the battery ones to be barely powerful enough.
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline mick

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2012, 07:46:46 PM »
Hi Goose send Spitfire a message i'm sure he's pretty handy with a dremel he might be able to help you  ;), cheers Mick.

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2012, 09:42:49 PM »
I found a Blackspur dremel type mini drill in local odds and sods shop for £20 a couple of years ago, it has done a lot more work than my genuine dremel did before packing up dissapointingly soon in it's working life. Old minicraft / black and decker mini drills also last very well and come up on ebay. The accessories are widely available and when I last looked were far cheaper from non dremel brands. Lidl ones were very cheap when I last needed some, if they do stock a Parkside mini drill the quality of that stuff has inpressed me a lot, trouble is it's stocked when they feel like it rather than when you need it. Rolson also do bits that will fit most mini drills, a decent hardware shop should have a range of stuff - so far I've not found a brand of consumables to be better or worse than any other so I just buy cheapest.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline Spitfire

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2012, 09:41:48 AM »
Hi there, as Mick said I spent quite a lot of time with a Dremel when preparing my CB750F1 engine for painting, I also used lots of wooden stirrers from Macs, tons of Brillo pads, and lots of different drill mounted rotary wire brushes, this was after a thorough degrease.
The Dremel was most useful in the finned and difficult to get to areas, my Dremel is an old one that I bought in the late 90's, it's a mains one and works a treat, I fitted it with the multi chuck, it's also great for cleaning up carbs and the like.
One of the best Brushes that I used was an abrasive one rather than a wire brush type, it gets rid of paint and oxidised aluminium without gouging the metal, I'll have to have a look around the garage and see if I can find one to point you in the right direction, it was a genuine Dremel item from B&Q.
Found it Dremel 538.
Overall the Dremel was probably the most useful tool that I used when rebuilding the bike.

Cheers

Den
1976 CB750F

1977 CB750F2 In bits

1964 BSA A65R In bits

Offline Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP)

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2012, 10:26:51 AM »
Frack me Spitfire that's really nice well done.You must have the patience of a saint.
Bitsa

PS fancy doing one for me?
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

Offline Spitfire

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2012, 10:57:46 AM »
It was a bit of a grind but worth it in the end, luckily I am retired so I have the time to do these sort of things, it could explain why it took me 2 years to get the bike finished though, and although I'm tempted by your kind offer to let me do one for you I don't think I'll do it again !

Cheers

Den
1976 CB750F

1977 CB750F2 In bits

1964 BSA A65R In bits

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2012, 11:29:43 AM »
Spitfire,
Understand you fully no problem but again well done.
Cheers
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

Offline kifer

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2012, 02:20:13 PM »
Well Spitfire congratulations, that looks spot on. Is it painted if so what paint have you used like the finish allot.
I use a dremel good tool also put bits in my air die grinder. Cheers Tom.

Offline Spitfire

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2012, 09:38:59 AM »
Those casings look fantastic, great job.

Cheers

Den
1976 CB750F

1977 CB750F2 In bits

1964 BSA A65R In bits

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2012, 07:09:08 PM »
MAGNIFICENT

Offline Goose

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2012, 10:22:39 AM »
Thanks for the replies folks, thats helpful. Mind you, some high quality refurb work there for me to live up to!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal