Author Topic: Calling carb experts . . .  (Read 2381 times)

Offline StPeter

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
Calling carb experts . . .
« on: July 29, 2012, 05:16:03 PM »
I've cured one incontinent carb and am now on to the finer points of getting them to work as a team . . . My initial problem is understanding what all the pipes are for!
Two feed pipes from the tank go to the connection(s) circled on the attached. The bunch of four overflow pipes from the float bowls. I understand these. What are the extra two (overflow?) pipes which attach to the inboard sides of Nos 2&3 (arrowed on the attachment)?
The were routed with the float bowl overflows but I havent found a mention of them in the manuals!
1975 CB500
Tiger 1050

Offline LesterPiglet

• SOHC Pro
  • 1977 CB550F2
    • View Profile
Re: Calling carb experts . . .
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2012, 08:00:36 PM »
They are just vents. Mine don't have any tubes on them at all.
Missing an attachment btw. :)
'Then' and 'than' are completely different words and have completely different meanings. Same with 'of' and 'have'. Set and sit. There, their and they're. Set/sit. Bought/brought FFS. Bloody Americans.

Les Ross. Certified by a Professional

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2012, 06:04:04 AM »
The two vents normaly go upwards and back over the air cleaner box

Offline StPeter

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2012, 09:25:05 AM »
Thanks, guys. Mine were poked down behind the engine with the float bow overflows. I guess it doesn't make any difference!
1975 CB500
Tiger 1050

Offline StPeter

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2012, 08:37:54 PM »
Supplementary question . . .
I'm coming to the conclusion that the carbs are going to have to be stripped and given a proper going over. They're a bit "cosmetically challenged" and would benefit from a cleanup but I don't think that I'm going to end up with something like this !

It makes sense to me to replace the jets and needles along with the various O-rings (or am I being a bit precious?) but there seems to be a bit of a spread on the price of the refurb sets.
Are these worth a punt or would I be better sticking to Keyster kits at twice the price.

All advice gratefully received!

1975 CB500
Tiger 1050

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2012, 08:45:09 PM »
I've purchased parts from that particular e-bay seller, big bore kit, clutch and various other bits, and all have been relatively good quality, and as you'll find in other threads on here, we are not that keen on Keyster kits for various reasons. So yes, give cruzin image a go ;D
If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline LesterPiglet

• SOHC Pro
  • 1977 CB550F2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2012, 10:12:57 PM »
Do jets and needles need to be replaced for any other reason than an exhaust, intake or porting job? Genuine question as I can't imagine any wear going on unless you have 100,000 miles on your clock.
'Then' and 'than' are completely different words and have completely different meanings. Same with 'of' and 'have'. Set and sit. There, their and they're. Set/sit. Bought/brought FFS. Bloody Americans.

Les Ross. Certified by a Professional

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2012, 08:25:01 AM »
keep all the original jets except possibly the float needle and seat and replace all the "O" rings. Inspect the brass overflow tubes as they can crack

Offline basketcase

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2012, 09:43:32 AM »
Hi St Peter, I`ve a set of these which I bought thinking that they`d fit my `77 K3, which I`ve been told they won`t. I advertised them on this site but had no takers, they`re still in the original packaging and sitting in my garage if you want them....and you don`t have to wait 2 weeks for delivery :D Message me if you`re interested.
Cheers, Nigel.
Do or do not...there is no try!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal