Author Topic: Cant get my head off  (Read 844 times)

Offline davepainter

• "rollin-thunder"
    • View Profile
Cant get my head off
« on: August 03, 2012, 03:35:28 PM »
Going by the haynes manual! 16 Nuts ok. 5 bolts, found 2 front and back centre of engine cant see the other 3? Also states 4x crosshead bolts in the recess under cam carriers under plastic shims, i shone a torch down there and cant see any sign of these Do they get left out???
As you,ve probably geussed by now the barrels lifted as well 1st time i went to lift head. Would the dowels cause this. Its the 1976 k6 engine that snapped its camshaft. I do have a mint pair of carriers and cam ready to fit  after i,ve cleaned crank cases oilways etc. I.d also like to know where the oil block WAS can anyone point me in the right direction!
Loads of usefull imfo on here SOHC forum thanks. Good/best tip i saw was hand prime -kick over and check oil is reaching head before i fit carriers, and it seems NOS honda gasket sets FULL are wise buy. If the pattern inlet rubbers i bought were shipe i,ve heard bad stories about gasket sets.
defender

Offline mick

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: Cant get my head off
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2012, 04:00:57 PM »
Hi Dave there a 6 smaller bolts to find 1 either side of the camchain tunnel under a puck i think ? they have a 10mm head and also cross head in the to use a screwdriver,

1 at the front of the head and 1 at the back of the head,  also 2 more at either end of the head you should be able to see them down were the outer plugs go,

and yes the dowels can hold it all together,

i would just clean everything thouroughly all the oil ways will need cleaning out i use carb cleaner and compressed air to blow mine out you will be able to see all the oilways in the cam carriers etc just make sure they are clear

i'm lucky i have the Gordon frame kit fitted on my F1 so you can leave the rocker cover off while you prime the engine took about 10 kicks to get oil squirting into the cam carriers just gives you piece of mind that oil is getting were it should be ,

Honda gaskets are dear but i suppose if your doing it right you might as well spend the bit extra and get decent gaskets,

good luck and show us some photos  ;), cheers Mick.

Offline Seamus

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
Re: Cant get my head off
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2012, 04:02:55 PM »
You should have 16 studs with nuts and washers. The 6 bolts. 1 at the front and one at the rear of the camchain tunnel.
Under the cam carriers there are rubber seals (6) and the cross head bolts are under these. There are four, two at the extreame ends and two at either side of the cam tunnel. They are a couple of inches down inside the head casting.

It is not unknown for the head gasket to bind the head and barrel together, so a little GENTLE leverage may be required.

Not sure what you mean by the oil block, but the pump is accessable by removing the sump pan. Have a look at the wire gauze, it should have most of your schrapnel in there.

Hope that gets you started

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal