Author Topic: avoiding a beurocratic cafe rear end mess  (Read 2925 times)

Offline Ewan 500 K1

• SOHC Pro
  • jings crivens help ma boab
    • View Profile
    • Adams Bros Probe 2001
avoiding a beurocratic cafe rear end mess
« on: August 06, 2012, 02:06:44 AM »
......due to the need to have a stop lamp, rear light and a registration plate....not too mention indicators. I'm having a real struggle coming up with something for the back lights set up that is legal but doesnt look like a beurocratic minger........ just woke up at 2am and had to go out to the shed and do a mock up of a potential solution using carboard and red insulationg tape.  In the photo red circle = reflector,  red strip = rear light / stop light using a dual intensity flexible LED strip. That's about as good as I can think of right now, hoping its UK legal...... Anyone else had a mindwarp with this ?
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 02:22:54 AM by Ewan 500 K »
jings crivens help ma boab

500K1/550K3 mongrel cafe racer project for now at http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,4120.0.html

500K1 basket case for later

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: avoiding a beurocratic cafe rear end mess
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2012, 08:14:44 AM »
ER don't forget the number plate has to be iluminated even if its reflective!!

Offline Ewan 500 K1

• SOHC Pro
  • jings crivens help ma boab
    • View Profile
    • Adams Bros Probe 2001
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2012, 10:23:18 AM »
ER don't forget the number plate has to be iluminated even if its reflective!!
   yep, was thinking of running a wee white LED down to fit on top of the reg plate
jings crivens help ma boab

500K1/550K3 mongrel cafe racer project for now at http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,4120.0.html

500K1 basket case for later

Offline andy120t

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2012, 06:56:04 PM »
Certainly is a pain!  One solution - bin all the lights and indicators and just have a brake light, that simplifies the lot. LED's are good and take up far less space too.

Indicators - ive' seen some very small, plastic / rubber ones in black that I will use (if I can find them again) and fit in the old rear mudguard holes - almost invisible as they blend with the frame.

Number plate is the hardest & may depend on your viw on legality (MOT plate vs smaller day to day plate).  If the back end was higher you could tuck it behind your battery box & claim it as still visible from the rear.

Personally, I think the side mount looks clumsy & spoils the lines. I have a different seat - more flat-tracker - but will be going with a plate that just fits between the frame rails at the back...(I think it's 5x3). Looks lie your frame is modified though so not such an obvious fit, but you could still hang something smaller under the seat - keep it fairly horizontal so it's not too obvious.

Other option which holds it out of the way is to use a the 'German style' plastic found on lots of BMW trailbikes. This is designed to ensure the rear wheel isn't the last piece of the bike and you can mount the plate on that too. Means that the seat lines aren't affected.

andy120t

CB550f/k
Zephyr 550
ZX6R G1
GSXR 7/11 - I need to sell it
Triumph 5TA - and this..

Offline StPeter

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2012, 09:22:10 PM »
Have to agree with andy on the number plate. Off to one side makes it look like it was an afterthought (bit like Alfa front ends).
Something along the lines of a tail tidy/RSend, perhaps with an LED spot  from under the seat. How about playing with some LED strips on the plate sides to act as indicators?
1975 CB500
Tiger 1050

Offline shaun

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2012, 11:21:06 PM »
i made this onone of my bikes. no rome under the seat ,looket ok in the end  ;)

« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 11:23:34 PM by shaun »

Offline LesterPiglet

• SOHC Pro
  • 1977 CB550F2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2012, 12:16:06 AM »
looket ok in the end  ;)

It would look stupid in the middle.   :P
'Then' and 'than' are completely different words and have completely different meanings. Same with 'of' and 'have'. Set and sit. There, their and they're. Set/sit. Bought/brought FFS. Bloody Americans.

Les Ross. Certified by a Professional

Offline Captain Snakebite

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2012, 12:36:17 AM »
You could have a look at some of the sculpted rear lights off Peugeot scooters and the likes? Some of them might follow the contour of your seat hump - might need to flip upside-down though? Possibly a CBR600 light from a 90's bike??
If it ain't broke - it'll probably wait 'til it's raining and you've got to be somewhere important.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal