Author Topic: Points screws  (Read 1572 times)

Offline Waggles

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Points screws
« on: August 06, 2012, 07:22:58 AM »
Anyone happen to know what size the ikkle screws that hold the points on and the 2-3 timing adjust are? Guess my P.O. got a bit hungry and chewed em a bit, they are useable, ( just ) but I would like to replace them with cheese head ones. ( I have an aversion to cross heads, dunno who thought they were a good idea, seem to be designed to chew up asap ) they don't seem to be listed on parts lists to give me the size, I can measure thread diameter but the pitch looks a bit fine to me.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Points screws
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2012, 08:10:40 AM »
My geriatric parts book (matches me!) sez 93500-05012OA SCREW, flat 5x12 quantity 3 BUT i have a feeling those are the 3 that hold the assembly to the crankcases.

If its what i think you mean there is no part number all you can do is match them at a supplier, by the by I never liked allen screws in there as its too easy to overtighten and strip the threads

Offline Waggles

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2012, 11:02:40 AM »
Thanks Bryan, yes they are the ones that hold the back plate, and I've replaced them. I agree re: allen heads, would only use them if I had to, I would prefer cheese heads if I can source some or the originals as they have a slot as well as cross head.

Will measure them up as best I can and see what I can come up with

62tt

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2012, 07:50:13 PM »
All the threaded holes in the points back-plate are M4 (M4 x 0.8 to be exact).

Offline Waggles

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2012, 09:45:48 AM »
I'd better measure again then Nick, I measured a screw by eye and ruler and made it M3 X 6mm better get the vernier calipers out!

Offline Seamus

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2012, 12:24:24 PM »
Sorry to add confusion, but I measured them at M4 x 0.7.

They are shown in the parts diagram, but not listed with part numbers.

Could be me or the guages. Best bet is a decent fastener outlet. Bring the old ones down and get therm matched. you can then post the correct sizes for the rest of us.

62tt

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2012, 09:48:12 PM »
Sorry to add confusion, but I measured them at M4 x 0.7.

They are shown in the parts diagram, but not listed with part numbers.

Could be me or the guages. Best bet is a decent fastener outlet. Bring the old ones down and get therm matched. you can then post the correct sizes for the rest of us.

Sorry for the confusion too, Seamus is spot-on, they are M4 x 0.7 which is standard metric thread, (I need more sleep, I was thinking of M5 pitch)!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal