Author Topic: Can i upgrade these parts ??  (Read 2028 times)

Offline cb750stu

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Can i upgrade these parts ??
« on: August 21, 2012, 07:20:41 PM »
These look a bit old and tatty can i upgrade these to more modern part ??

Oh yeah what exactly are they please ??

Regards Stu !!!
1976 CB750 F1 SS in bits !!! but getting there

Offline steff750

• SOHC Expert
  • THE POWER OF DREAMS
    • View Profile
Re: Can i upgrade these parts ??
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 08:06:33 PM »
the short answer is yes :-\ but when they are on the bike they are out of site,and i assume they are still working so why would you want to change them? they look better than some of the ones i got ,i will swap you for mine if you like  ;) and my parts are over forty years old and look a lot worse than them "if it aint broke dont try and fix it"  they are the rectifier regulator and indicator flasher relay ,and they will probably be very expensive to replace , so save your money for when they do fail  :) BTW they dont breakdown very often so be very patient you could be in for a long wait

Offline Spitfire

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2012, 08:12:03 PM »
I just cleaned mine up, repainted them using Humbrol enamel model paint and put them back on, they still work and are reliable.

Cheers

Den
1976 CB750F

1977 CB750F2 In bits

1964 BSA A65R In bits

Offline LesterPiglet

• SOHC Pro
  • 1977 CB550F2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2012, 09:25:06 PM »
The flasher relay is easily replaced for 99p for an electronic one which doesn't depend on bulb wattage to work. I had to buy one recently as I couldn't find the correct wattage bulbs for my winkys.
'Then' and 'than' are completely different words and have completely different meanings. Same with 'of' and 'have'. Set and sit. There, their and they're. Set/sit. Bought/brought FFS. Bloody Americans.

Les Ross. Certified by a Professional

Offline steff750

• SOHC Expert
  • THE POWER OF DREAMS
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2012, 10:01:10 PM »
 lester wrote
depend on bulb wattage to work
  ::) well i did'nt know that.
my indicators stayed on with me on my irish honda cb750 last week and made a buzzing noise from the flasher unit i was gonna change it but all the spares i could find are two prong and not three .so i thought its nackered may aswell have a look inside ,so opened it up and cleaned the contacts and away she went like it was brand new ;) you can also open the regulator and clean or adjust contacts in there aswell,dont you just lurv moving parts  8)

Offline LesterPiglet

• SOHC Pro
  • 1977 CB550F2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2012, 11:08:04 PM »
I didn't know it either until I substituted 23w bulbs for 21w. I couldn't get the lenses on with the bigger bulbs tho so had to get a new relay for 99p. :)
'Then' and 'than' are completely different words and have completely different meanings. Same with 'of' and 'have'. Set and sit. There, their and they're. Set/sit. Bought/brought FFS. Bloody Americans.

Offline cb750stu

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2012, 12:00:59 AM »
Cheers folks !!

Just been on David Silvers website ordering a few small bits genuine parts are not cheap ie £5.30 for one disk bolt.

Thanks anyway im just going to keep my parts i have and clean them up !!

Offline LesterPiglet

• SOHC Pro
  • 1977 CB550F2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2012, 12:28:38 AM »
I got a complete set of disc bolts from ebay for a fiver. :) Off a 450 but still the same.

Offline cb750stu

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2012, 12:40:54 AM »
Thats good to know i suppose quite alot of parts are interchangable between different models !!!

Offline LesterPiglet

• SOHC Pro
  • 1977 CB550F2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2012, 12:56:54 AM »
If you go here you can compare part numbers.

http://www.cmsnl.com/honda-cb-four_model7148/

Offline Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP)

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2012, 07:41:42 AM »
With regards to the indicator relay if they come on but do not flash and it buzz's just earth out the side of the relay.3 pronged one.
Cheers
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal