Author Topic: Steering stem bearings ??  (Read 1656 times)

Offline cb750stu

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Steering stem bearings ??
« on: September 04, 2012, 07:23:36 PM »
Hi Folks

Just wondering how to get these rings off they are solid if i put it in the freezer will that work ??

I looks like there are 4 parts there , 

Does all that assembly come off or just the top 2 rings ???

Cheers

1976 CB750 F1 SS in bits !!! but getting there

Offline LesterPiglet

• SOHC Pro
  • 1977 CB550F2
    • View Profile
Re: Steering stem bearings ??
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 07:38:56 PM »
The very top is a spacer. It all comes off up to the spacer, unless the spacer is the wrong size then that comes off too. I just used a bfh and an old screwdriver. Just work your way around the bearings a bit at a time and it should come off.
'Then' and 'than' are completely different words and have completely different meanings. Same with 'of' and 'have'. Set and sit. There, their and they're. Set/sit. Bought/brought FFS. Bloody Americans.

Les Ross. Certified by a Professional

Offline cb750stu

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 07:50:10 PM »
Cheers !!!

As you can see in the top picture i have tried the BFH route i think i will go and hit it a bit harder !!!

Cheers

Offline the-chauffeur

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2012, 09:03:02 PM »

Stu

I've always found the lower races a bloody nightmare to remove.  I've finally settled on a somewhat unconventional - but effective - solution.  I use a small axe head (like a wide bladed cold chisel) against the bottom race edge and strike the back of it with a heavy hammer.  Since both tools are hardened, I wear goggles and gloves, just in case. 

The other thing I do is brace the top end against a piece of wood up against a wall.  With the whack I need to give these things, I find that vices just don't cope.

Alternatively there's always the elegant solution of using a Dremel to cut through 2/3rds-3/4trs of the race width and then snap the remainder with your hammer/cold chisel . . .

Offline cb750stu

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2012, 09:22:21 PM »
Yeah ive just finished with my Dremmel worked a treat !!

I just test fitted my new bearings,i take it when i put it back together they will move down when tightening up because at the moment they dont go all the way down to the bottom they seem a bit snug ??

Cheers for the advice 

Offline LesterPiglet

• SOHC Pro
  • 1977 CB550F2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2012, 11:34:18 PM »
I just fitted tapers a few months ago and I'm still trying to set them right. Either too tight or too loose.  ::)
'Then' and 'than' are completely different words and have completely different meanings. Same with 'of' and 'have'. Set and sit. There, their and they're. Set/sit. Bought/brought FFS. Bloody Americans.

Les Ross. Certified by a Professional

Offline the-chauffeur

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2012, 04:15:55 PM »
The bearings need to go all the way to the bottom of the steering stem - and yes, that's a bastard of a job if you don't happen to have exactly the right diameter piece of pipe knocking about to belt them on with.  Or even better, a hydraulic press.

I've just done the same job on my Pan European.  The interference fit between the stem and the lower race is incredibly tight - I used a variety of tools to get them down, but the most useful thing was the old bearing race lower half, which I could put over the new one to protect it when I was bearing (ha - see what I did there?) down on the whole assembly.

And don't forget, the seal with the rubber edges goes on first, then the bearing . . . been there, done that.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 10:59:25 AM by the-chauffeur »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal