Author Topic: burning oil SOHC 750 ?  (Read 1119 times)

Offline bluemouse1006

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
burning oil SOHC 750 ?
« on: September 20, 2012, 01:49:31 AM »
Hi  ;)

Just bought a SOHC engine for my new project,the guy tells me that the engine hasnt been run for  good few years but from memory when it did run last it burnt oil quite badly !! the exhaust ports do look oily (all 4)
any usual problems valve stem seals etc ? valve guides ? not sure how many miles it has done though.
will be taking the sump off in a couple of weeks and checking in there before sliding it into a frame to see how bad it does smoke and see if there is any oil presure which is always a good start..
how easy is it to get a set of rings for these nowadays ?

Thanks again and look forward to posting some pickies when I start the project after my hols.

N.B given up on the idea of fitting a rear disc on my K5 !! dont want to mess with it as its soooo shiney  ???

Amos
Amos

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: burning oil SOHC 750 ?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2012, 07:16:34 AM »
Depends on the year and model of the engine as to what is most likely.

If you can post the complete engine number it would help to give advice

Offline Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP)

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: burning oil SOHC 750 ?
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2012, 09:50:15 AM »
Amos.
The two engines that I have rebuilt burnt oil.Yes the seals get hard and crack over the years but I found with the rings they were way out of speck.Replaced them with genuine Honda and lightly honed the cylinders and now back within specs and so far no blue smoke and now done over 500 miles.You can still get new rings from usual suppliers DS etc.
Best OF LUCK
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal