Author Topic: Which clutch? advice appreciated  (Read 13896 times)

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
Re: Which clutch? advice appreciated
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2012, 10:34:07 AM »
The clutch was the major difference between the 500 and the 550 (apart from the obvious...)

The fact that the 500 only shipped in the UK for two years before Honda changed it gives some indication as to how good a design it was...

::)
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline deltarider

• SOHC Master
  • My kingdom for a turkey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2012, 12:37:34 PM »
but i have never had problems.
Neither did I. 130.000kms+

Offline singleoverheadbraincell

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2012, 06:48:56 PM »
Oddjob,

thanks for the feedback but I'm a bit confused....there is no grease nipple on the casing (I have a 1977 550K). Regardless, everything is working smoothly but I'm intrigued to understand exactly what it is you are talking about. Anyway, I received 'Heavy Duty' springs from Wemoto but I'll be sending them back. For a start their 'free' length is beyond the standard mentioned in the Honda manual - I don't have the figure to hand and in hindsight, with proper vernier measurement, I don't see much wrong with the springs that came out. They are lighter than these EBC springs and for me, anything that contributes to a lighter clutch is desirable. Anyway, as I say, I'll report on the overall outcome when it's all back together.

Caio

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2012, 09:16:20 AM »
Grease nipple is only on the 500 which you mentioned in your first post and probably confused us.
550 is totaly different.

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2012, 10:29:45 AM »
.......well I finally have the (original) clutch back in place. The springs still retained their working tension after 35 years so I have kept those. The clutch feels light but I have discovered (as mickwinf eleuded to previously) that the feel of the clutch is affected by the route it takes. I don't as yet have it cable-tied back to the frame but I have discovered that when I pull it up off the rocker cover and back towards the frame it becomes tighter. At the moment it takes quite a large sweep which projects out from the front of the engine. It doesn't look good aesthetically and I don't know if the MOT inspectors will be happy but it makes for a light clutch. The problem is though that the cable does rest on the top of the rocker cover and will melt the cable if I'm not careful. I will try to fashion a cable tie or something similar around it to hold it up off the rocker cover whilst trying to retain this larger 'sweep' to keep the clutch light.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2012, 04:16:38 PM »
sounds like your cable may be a bit long, or have you fitted lower bars?

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2012, 04:54:43 PM »
Bryan,

the handlebars are stock items but it is possible that it's a replacement cable that's a bit too long.....but surely if a third party manufacturer was making replacement cables, one of the fundamentals would be to get the length correct?

Offline deltarider

• SOHC Master
  • My kingdom for a turkey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2012, 05:54:13 PM »
Honda had various cables as the models had various handlebars. US had highrise handlebars, Europe not.

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2012, 06:56:45 PM »
Thanks folks for your replies - Oddjob, just one thing, what exactly is the PDI, excuse my ignorance....but I did observe that the engine is prone to revving up if I turn the wheel a certain way.

Methinks I have two incorrect cables!!!!!!!!!

Offline Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP)

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2012, 07:19:36 PM »
In my day PDI stood for pre delivery inspection you built the bike out of a crate filled the battery, oiled it, fueled it and took it for a ride to see if there was any problems.
Hope it helps you.
Cheers
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2012, 07:38:18 PM »
We (or Bryan) have some copies of PDI instructions somewhere...   I'll take a look.

If the engine revs change when you swing the bars from lock to lock it is an MOT failure.
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP)

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2012, 08:24:00 PM »
Agreed but like I said all cables were routed from the crate all you had to do was lift the handlebars into postion and fit them cables were not part of pdi except the speedo cable.If I remember correctly all the fours the throttle cables went through between the clocks and  the top yoke,Looking down from the warning lights along the right side under the tank to the carbs.I will post a photo of it in a weeks time of my 750 if nobody has beaten me to it.Mine has the high riser bars.
Regards
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

Offline LesterPiglet

• SOHC Pro
  • 1977 CB550F2
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2012, 12:08:35 AM »
I would love a copy of these PDI instructions if someone could post them please.
'Then' and 'than' are completely different words and have completely different meanings. Same with 'of' and 'have'. Set and sit. There, their and they're. Set/sit. Bought/brought FFS. Bloody Americans.

Les Ross. Certified by a Professional

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2012, 01:11:34 PM »
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline LesterPiglet

• SOHC Pro
  • 1977 CB550F2
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2012, 01:26:46 PM »
Thanks Steve.  ;)
'Then' and 'than' are completely different words and have completely different meanings. Same with 'of' and 'have'. Set and sit. There, their and they're. Set/sit. Bought/brought FFS. Bloody Americans.

Les Ross. Certified by a Professional

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal