Author Topic: sprocket retainer ring removal  (Read 1521 times)

Offline totty

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
sprocket retainer ring removal
« on: October 01, 2012, 09:12:46 PM »
Hi,

Does anyone have any tips for removing a sprocket retainer ring?

I'm aware that it's a reverse thread and I've drilled out the steaks, but I still can't shift it with an adjustable pin spanner and hammer. I might have to buy a big socket cut it down and get an impact driver on it.

I don't need the hub but I need to transfer the sprocket etc. to another wheel, although I'd rather not trash an ok hub.
Also any tips on cleaning up the threads? The wheel I'm switching to looks like the stakes weren't drilled and there is some thread damage.

Cheers

Allan

Offline Ewan 500 K1

• SOHC Pro
  • jings crivens help ma boab
    • View Profile
    • Adams Bros Probe 2001
Re: sprocket retainer ring removal
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2012, 07:57:41 AM »
is the front one also a revers thread ?
jings crivens help ma boab

500K1/550K3 mongrel cafe racer project for now at http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,4120.0.html

500K1 basket case for later

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 08:06:51 AM »
Nope front is normal

Offline totty

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2012, 08:48:50 AM »
I'm just in the process of having some special tools made for the retainer rings, both front and back. I got a little delayed with a household emergency but I sent them down to the maker last week. He's promised a quick turn round and they should be realistically priced.
The rear retainer rings are no longer available anywhere so you should make sure it's reusable afterwards, hence the need to make sure you can remove it without damaging it. If that means you have to buy a special tool for £15 or so quid then I'd say that was money well spent.

I'll post some more details of the tools once the maker has confirmed he's managed to do them, shouldn't be long.

In that case I'll put it back in the garage and wait of the tools being made.
My retainer has some damage around two holes in the tightening direction from a previous owner, that may explain why it's so difficult to shift, but it looks reusable to me.

Cheers

Allan

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal