Author Topic: Wet HT leads?? - anyone experience this?  (Read 1220 times)

Offline singleoverheadbraincell

• View Profile
Wet HT leads?? - anyone experience this?
« on: October 08, 2012, 02:28:58 PM »
So, I was having problems getting my new induction type timing light working continuously (where an induction lead is clamped over the HT lead)...it worked ok on #1 but only occasionally on #4. The engine is firing ok on all cylinders, I know this. But to get accurate timing I decided to use the timing light. 

Wondering why I was getting the light to work only intermittently I was having a good probe around the #4 HT lead when I noticed a few drops of water......on further investigation I discovered this was running out of the HT lead. I made a slight cut through the outer insulation and water came running out. I'm thinking the presence of this water may have been causing the timing light not to work. Has anyone else ever experience this?

Anyway, replacing the HT leads is not straight-forward on the 550K as I'm sure you all know. I understand it requires 'breaking-into' the sealed coils and patching the thing up again. The idea was to replace just the HT leads but perhaps the coils could do with being replaced too as I'm sure there is dampness in there too. I am however, getting a nice bright blue spark so I just don't know what to do.

It would obviously be more cost-effective just to change the leads and persevere with the difficult fitting work at the coils - I reckon I could manage this ok. The leads can be bought off eBay very cheaply. I would be interested to hear other people's thoughts on this situation.

Offline totty

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Re: Wet HT leads?? - anyone experience this?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2012, 02:48:41 PM »
I'd be inclined to cut the lead a couple of inches from the coil and inspect the core, if it's dry and not corroded you can get in line couplers to splice a new lead onto the remains avoiding breaking into the sealed coils. I've never tried this though, I fitted a Boyer kit to mine.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Wet HT leads?? - anyone experience this?
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2012, 03:48:52 PM »
If it sparks and runs leave it alone, and only use the timing light to check your advancer is working as per Honda specs

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal