Author Topic: CB500 K2 Cafe build.  (Read 10128 times)

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: CB500 K2 Cafe build.
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2013, 06:25:39 PM »
If that's the first time welding, then it doesn't appear too bad. I've seen some attrocious stuff and wonder how it stays together at all on some modified bikes.

It looks (can't see entirely as a bit out of focus) as though the weld penetration isn't too bad which is what you're after. don't be tempted to grind too much off for cosmetic purposes as it can result in significant reduction in material strength around the joins.

Another couple of steps forward at least.

Offline Mitchv60

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2013, 07:37:49 PM »
Seats done. :)
I purchased a second hand Giullari seat although from pictures I wasn't 100% sure it was the look I was after,but once it was on the bike my doubts where dismissed.
The seat needed some modifying to get how I wanted it so I've stripped the cover and foam.The pan was a bit rusty and I've had to do a couple of repairs.I've also trimmed the back to fit the frame,made a lock bracket and a couple of extra brackets for the back to remove any movement while riding.
Back to work tomorrow so work will slow up to weekends only.

1972 cb500 k2(rusty)
2000 Aprilia rsvr (very modified)
2002 Aprilia rsvr (trackbike)

Offline Mitchv60

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2013, 05:19:53 PM »
Seat pan,exhaust clamps and front mudguard have now been media blasted.
I wasn't sure the mudguard would be salvageable as it had a couple of small holes in,well this was the finished result :o

The fuel tank had a small rust hole in the side which was brazed but I then found another 4 pin holes in the underneeth at the front when I added the rust remover so they where repaired as well.
This was the product I used to seal the inside of the tank as most are only good up to 10% mixed ethanol petrol where this is was good to 100%.

The seat pan has been painted gloss black and I dropped it into the seat trimmers today for a new cover and foam.

Spent last weekend polishing the sprocket cover.

My new mudguard arrived so I've trimmed the sides and drilled mounting holes.This had the bar that links the front and rear(honda racing style)but I didn't think it would look right on a naked bike so I broke out the dremmel

So tomorrow I will drop the fuel tank,mudguard and bracket into the painters so he can get them done along withe the side pods he already has.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 05:23:43 PM by Mitchv60 »
1972 cb500 k2(rusty)

Offline stuartni

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2013, 09:16:03 AM »
looking good  8)

Offline Mitchv60

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2013, 05:04:02 PM »
 Well the schedule has gone out the window by about a month due to the sudden death of my mum 6 weeks ago and losing just over 2 weeks due to concrete burns to my eyes.That said I have made a little progress.

The forks have been stripped and the stanchions sent of for rechroming,should have them back in about 5 weeks(7 week lead time) .

The front and rear hubs and rear brake assembly have been stripped and all the big casting flaws have been sanded out before I had them media blasted.

I've had all the paint done.I've decided to go with silver as you can see instead of the original black.

The seat pan was sprayed.I then gave it to Hoods County Customs who made all new foam and a new covering.

The engine is at my mechanics being stripped so I can get the cases bead blasted and then sprayed.
So that's about it so far.
1972 cb500 k2(rusty)

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2013, 05:09:51 PM »
Thats looking great, love the paint and seat
Pete

Offline mickwinf

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2013, 11:00:37 PM »
That tank looks great in silver! the rear brake plate looks like a later k3 item which dosent fit earlier hubs, has yours been modified?
Love the 500 and 550 have a 500 called Lazarus under restoration

Offline Mitchv60

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2013, 09:31:05 AM »
I haven't modified it but it's a US import so it may be different.
1972 cb500 k2(rusty)

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2013, 12:30:30 PM »
Paint looks like a lovely job - do you mind if I ask how much you paid and who did the work? Seat also looks like a lovely piece of work. Looking forward to seeing it all come together...

Offline Mitchv60

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2013, 03:59:36 PM »
No you can ask.

I had the seat pan done gloss black before trimming.The tank had some brazing done,a dent removed and 2 badge cutouts filled,decals added
(i supplied them) and then the whole thing painted.The 2 side pods,front mudguard and bracket also pained and lacquered.

All done in Audi Ice silver with 2 coats of clear for a total of £325 and he delivered it back to me because he moved his workshop while halfway through the job.Robin is a one man band and has just moved to Hornchurch.

The seat cost £60 which I personally though was very cheap and would have paid double that.
1972 cb500 k2(rusty)

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2013, 04:12:33 PM »
The paint and seat look like very well done jobs, it's nice when you pick someone to do it and they turn it out better than expected.

It'll be nice to see it when assembled.

Offline Mitchv60

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2013, 04:50:11 PM »
A little more progress. 8)
The front and rear hubs and brake plate have all been cleared with a matt clear coat to give them some protection and then all the new bearing where installed.I dropped the hubs off to the wheel builder 2 weeks ago(should have them back next week)to have the new excel valanced rims and stainless spokes fitted.
The engine has been stripped and vapour blasted and awaits me to take it to the painter once I get the head back.

I've had the fork legs back today from Philppot and they have made a first class job.
Before

After

I've finished my mudguard/engine splash guard(not finished in the photo)and its trimmed sanded and ready for the finished coating.Made from a sheet of 2mm ally and bent to fit.

Frame has now had all the welding done and just need all the prep work to be finished before powder coating.
1972 cb500 k2(rusty)

Offline Mitchv60

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2013, 12:43:49 PM »
Fork legs have now both been polished,picture is one done one not.

Forks have been reassembled and are being dropped off to Maxton ar the weekend to have all new internals and springs fitted to bring them up to current suspension standards as possible.

Collected my new Excel Takasago flanged wheels with stanless spokes from the wheel builder this morning and very nice they are to. 8)

1972 cb500 k2(rusty)

Offline Paull

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2013, 07:34:13 PM »
Fine job your doing there.

Keep the pictures coming.

Paull
S**t Happens

Offline macca

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2013, 02:36:43 PM »
looking very nice indeed bet ya well chuffed gives me a fair bit of inspiration for when i start mine keep up the good wrk look forward to seeing it finished

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal