Author Topic: 1969 Diecast/ K0 restoration  (Read 34557 times)

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: 1969 Diecast/ K0 restoration
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2012, 07:13:54 AM »
Tim i have not seen the classic mechanics article,is it any good?  i have been using zinc/Nickel plating kits for some years they are good as you can suit yourself where and when and how much you want to do, however it has many problems which you have to overcome by trial and error,
I might do a write up on how to do it, there are many factors that the suppliers of the kits dont mention

Take a look at my photobucket album you can see lots of bits i have done on another restoration project i am doing , i used the black passivate on this
http://s924.photobucket.com/albums/ad90/UK-Pete/1986%20GPZ550%20ZX%20A2%20Restoration/

Pete

Offline Seamus

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2012, 09:58:45 AM »
Pete, a write up would be great. I have acquired all the hardware for plating, but never really got round to sorting out the correct chemicals for the bath. Original chemicals were from a kit, but I must have poisoned it somewhere . :'(

Tim, Is the plating article in this months CMCM?

Offline Rozabikes Tim

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2012, 03:35:49 PM »
Seamus - article starts November more in December.

Pete - article seems quite straight forward but really was interested in your experience of doing it. Yes a "how to" would be good.

More generally Pete - how the hell do you manage to do so much, so well,l so fast on your "harem" of bikes?? Her in doors must be very understanding if nothing else.

Tim
One day I'll have the time to restore it, not just talk and dream....

Offline tom400f

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2012, 04:08:26 PM »
I was wondering the same thing.... and don't say its the rabbits.
1978 CB400F2 Yellow
1995 VFR750FS Red
1997 VFR750FV Lapis Blue
2013 Yamaha FZ8 Grey

Offline Rozabikes Tim

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2012, 06:16:09 PM »
Tell you what, those bikes are breeding like the proverbial rabbits!
One day I'll have the time to restore it, not just talk and dream....

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2012, 08:46:53 PM »
I have no idea how i find the time to do this, you have to be a bit obssesed, the wife sort of knows by now that there is no stopping me,
On the subject of having time to do it, here are some more bits

The metalwork of the front footpegs was powdercoated, i zinc/nickle plated the pins,and washers, also seeing as new rubber is quite cheap i thought it would be rude not to so they got finished off with the new rubbers

« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 09:09:06 PM by UK Pete »

Offline Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP)

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2012, 09:52:01 AM »
Keep going frakin good job so far well done
Cheers
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2012, 07:32:02 PM »
I forgot to post the pictures of my frame and various bits after they had been to the powder coaters, so here they are,

I sent the frame swingarm and battery box back as i felt the finish was quite poor compared to when i last had one done, this is the photo of the parts first time round you cant see the finish clearly

Here is one when i got them back after being re-done, i am much happier now

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2012, 05:53:58 PM »
I restored  the the seat catch,  was really pleased how it  came out, its another small bit to tick off the list

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2012, 09:03:41 PM »
I have gathered all my engine component markings, and have read other peoples posts on date markings,  what i can gather is 44 is the year 1969 and the next two numbers the  month and day, as i am documenting the whole build i might as well gather all my date markings together, it really pleases me that the bottom of this engine was totally untoched, the top had only had the head off, everything that was put together in 1969 is in tact and re-usable, obviously i will replace all the usuall serviceable items

Clutch basket 01/10/1969

cam carriers the  07/10/1969  first 4 is partly worn away

Rocker cover  29/8/1969

Crank cases  26/09/1969

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2012, 09:32:22 PM »
Gathered the bottom end parts together, took them apart and gave them a good clean and inspection, i have to say the condition for 43 years is amazing, very little wear, the only parts that need replacing are the primary chain tensioner and cam tensioner wheels as these are rock hard and starting to loose bits off them,and of course the chains will be replaced, i will change the output shaft outer bearing even though mine is smooth running and reusable, i am only changing it as i had already ordered the new bearing before checking the old

Output shaft has had an easy life by the looks

Started putting the parts together and back in the engine, it took me about 5 minutes to remember the easy way of reinstating the kickstart spring, i was scratching my head for ages trying to remember how the f--k  i did it last time, i put in the new primary chain tensioner,

Then the rest of the parts

It will stay like this for a while, till i get the rest of parts for the engine build, nearly there though, i have recieved most of the parts i ordered here they are , just need gaskets and a few more orings

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2012, 02:11:14 PM »
That looks in amazing condition Pete, it's very wortwhile getting hold of one that is essentially in tact as a start point.

I don't blame you for changing the output bearing if you have one available as it's so easy while apart.

Something about these that people think they are complex inside when they really are quite simple and elegantly laid out.....I know I keep saying this but I'm amazed at the skill of the original designers.

What a nice bike to own.

Offline tom400f

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2012, 03:50:06 PM »
So there was no need to blast/paint the crank cases - just clean them ?
1978 CB400F2 Yellow
1995 VFR750FS Red
1997 VFR750FV Lapis Blue
2013 Yamaha FZ8 Grey

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 06, 2012, 04:35:40 PM »
Nigel, you are right it is a nice bike to own and to restore, i dont care how much i end up spending on it as it is a good original bike and one that i will really enjoy just looking at and riding, it has to be the best hobby in the world messing with classic bikes
Tom both crank cases were washed out in my parts washer, then jet washed, followed by a scrub with washing powder  in boiling water, oven dried, blown through with an air line , then keyed up with a scotchbright pad , submerged in thinners and scrubbed with a tooth brush, then the flaking paint on the top cover was sanded back before spraying
Pete

Offline ChrisD

• CB750 K0
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 12, 2012, 03:27:32 PM »
Hi. Looking good and love the pics. I also have a K0 that is in process at the moment. re the forks I sent mine away to Philpotts hardchrome and they come back as new. I am finding getting bits a pain or very expensive I would love a new HM300 set of exhuasts but waited to late and they became discontinued . This Fri i'll be picking up my engine cases and cylinders and head. These have been vapour blasted so should look the nuts. The head is the original one so will go away to be refurbed and valves recut etc. I'll have to post some pics as you have which makes for good reading and identifies what your talking about. All the best from a fellow K0 owner.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal