Author Topic: Gel Battery  (Read 2400 times)

Offline Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP)

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Gel Battery
« on: November 04, 2012, 08:26:23 PM »
Just an update so far the gel battery has already out lived the acid type.Each night I flick the ignition on and the head light is far brighter and the starter cranks over no probs.Maybe this is the way to go guys what your comments?
Regrds
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

Offline mick

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: Gel Battery
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2012, 09:27:45 PM »
Hi Bitsa i've got one of those moto batt's on my kettle which at the moment is in my shed and not been used for about a month but i'll bet it spins over fast next time i come to use it  8),
my old Honda 750 on the other hand is under my lean to with a cover over it and i bet the old acid filled battery will needa charge before i use it  :'(,

cheers Mick.

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 06:59:33 AM »
I bought a lucas gel battery and it was shit and just died on me after 3 months, howevcer i will be trying out ghel batteries again soon as now the cold weather is here i have 3 bikes desperately in need of new ones, trouble is i am not sure which makes are good
Pete

Offline Waggles

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2012, 07:34:52 AM »
Appreciate its not quite the same application but I have a 'gel' battery ( Actually its an AGM, Absorbed Glass Mat ) on my boat that is just trickle charged with a wind generator. It runs all the lighting and a tiller auto pilot occasionally. I have had it on there over 5 years now and still going strong. I have an 'El cheapo' normal acid one on my F1 at the moment, it has survived OK since march used every day with headlight on, not exactly astounding yet, but is OK.

I fitted the sealed battery to the boat more for lack of spillage, no need for ventilation and the fact I don't have to top it up ( not easy as its buried in a locker ) but apart from that there is little point in having one in my opinion although an unspillable battery does make sense safety wise on a bike. They are more expensive, take longer to charge and are more sensitive to overcharging, you can bugger one up a treat by overcharging so make sure you use a good charger if you use one. Flooded lead acid batteries are generally reckoned to be more reliable and charge a bit quicker but you do have to look after them and have the ventilation / spillage risks.

I think as Petes experience shows its a case of finding a good make, a crap battery is a crap battery wether its AGM, Gel or flooded. Perhaps members can post their experiences with various types and makes and we can build up a knowledge base?

Offline steff750

• SOHC Expert
  • THE POWER OF DREAMS
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2012, 09:07:27 AM »

http://www.eBay.co.UK/itm/270912527607

yes the technology has certainly moved on in the electrical department, i have used gel batteries on all my CB750's for quite a few years now with no problems, i cant see me ever going back to acid batteries i might even try them yellow ones next. just doing my bit to save the planet 

check  previous threads on this subject  there has been quite a bit of info posted here already

Offline mick

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2012, 09:41:28 AM »
Thats the one i have on my kettle also fits my 2 CB750's  ;) cheers Mick.

Offline Rozabikes Tim

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2012, 11:32:52 AM »
Anyone used a gel battery on a 400/4 - what make + code etc??

Tim
One day I'll have the time to restore it, not just talk and dream....

Offline tom400f

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2012, 12:41:42 PM »
1978 CB400F2 Yellow
1995 VFR750FS Red
1997 VFR750FV Lapis Blue
2013 Yamaha FZ8 Grey

Offline Rozabikes Tim

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2012, 01:10:05 PM »
Thanks,

Sick of buying lead acid batteries for dormant bikes that then fail prematurely.
One day I'll have the time to restore it, not just talk and dream....

Offline steff750

• SOHC Expert
  • THE POWER OF DREAMS
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2012, 05:30:02 PM »
i can highly recommend L M MOTORCYCLE SPARES ONLINE i have had three off them on eBay, great people to deal with,BTW they have quite a few for sale now check em out

Offline Waggles

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2012, 07:29:57 AM »
Just a tip or two on battery care:

Flooded lead acid batteries have a higher 'self discharge' rate than AGM etc and also are less tolerant of being deeply discharged which can lead to plate 'sulphation' and hence failure. This is probably why failures occur on dormant bikes. I would suggest if you are laying a bike up with this type of battery then connect it to a charger through a cheap timer to come on say once a week to top it up. Keep a regular check on it too to make sure the levels stay OK. Use a good charger too that won't boil the battery dry!

Although Gel batteries are more tolerant of deep discharge they are less tolerant of over charging so although I would still recommend regular charging it is critical to use a good charger.

Generally, the more of the time the battery ( either type ) remains fully charged the longer it will last

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal