Author Topic: newbie  (Read 3203 times)

Offline gasman

• View Profile
« on: November 08, 2012, 09:53:13 PM »
Hi Guys
New to the site, had hondas all my life, have CBX, VFR1200, VFR800, CB1300. 2X CB750s, to many really but you just get attached to them. The two cbs have come from the states, one a 74 and the other a 75, the first is great, very pleased with it, the second -well not quite what I thought it was. I purchased it as a perfect example of a k5, well when I recieved it -it was damaged in transit, ie tank dented,  seat marked, the exhausts all have holes in them and head has been off at some time, head gasket leaks so deap breath-- I am going to do a complete restoration, never done one in my life and dont really know where to start, will find some one to do a respray first, then take engine out of frame and see how I get on, surely cant be to difficult. Will trawl through site for advice, after the dissapointment -I am looking forward to making a start, just makes you more attached to the old girl, hope I can turn my hand to it, will keep posted.
neal

Offline mick

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: newbie
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 10:47:30 PM »
Hi Neal and welcome to the addiction  ::) were abouts are you ? and when you get chance put some photos on of your bikes  8), theres awealth of knowledge on here so you have come to the right place good luck with your resto  ;) cheers Mick.

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2012, 11:01:48 PM »
Welcome neil, good luck with your restoring,  loads of people on here have restored there bikes, you will definitely  get some good tips and advise, it really helps to take plenty of pictures for reference as well as post on here
Pete

Offline gasman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2012, 07:12:36 PM »
Hi Guys
Thanks to mick and pete for there interest, pete-- do you have to take engine out of frame to rebuild top end? And who can I take it too for a top end rebuild. Obviously happy to pay the right money but need a good job. It looks like the top end has been apart at some time, maybe recently but on removing plugs I have noticed oil leaking into the plug cavities. Really dont mind going anywhere so long as I get that good job. I live in dorset but can go anywhere. Off to bristol on monday  to get tank resprayed, then will order new exhaust system from david silvers. Look forward to your reply
regards neal

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2012, 07:24:04 PM »
Hi Gasman, and welcome! You do have to take the engine out of the frame to get the head off, although some members on here do a frame modification( cutting out the 2 top horizontal rails and replacing with a modified kit of removable bars) but I prefer NOT to chop the frame about :o The cylinder head is not difficult to do yourself (saves a lot of money, and very satisfying ;D)and there are plenty of members here who can guide you through it :).
If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline gasman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2012, 07:42:00 PM »
Guys- this is good, guys with the same interest, will get a couple of manuals next week and start the process unless I can get someone to do the engine for a fee. Really concerned about taking engine out of frame but am sure I will sort it. Would love to be confident enough to sort engine myself but at 80mph on the motorway I would allways be worried that I havent done something properly. Will trawl through site and see if I can get a proffesional to do it for me. Every thing else I will give a go.
neal

Offline mick

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2012, 09:33:08 PM »
Hi Neal look up Gordons Frame kit on the forum this is the frame modification that lets you do work on the top end without taking the engine out,

as for doing the engine and head work they are very simple to work on and theres plenty of help on here  ;) cheers Mick.

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2012, 10:48:51 PM »
Neal , i am not aware of anyone who rebuilds these engines for a living , most of us on here tackle the job ourselves, as mick says there is a frame tube conversion that people were buying from the USA , not sure if they are still being made though,
pete

Offline tom400f

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2012, 10:54:16 PM »
Neal

I have a 400F and one person can pick up that engine but nonetheless, for all sizes the popular technique for getting the engine in/out of the frame is to strip the rolling chassis with the engine still in it, then on a suitable surface tip the frame over on its side, remove the (remaining) bolts and lift the frame away. Particularly relevant when putting the engine back in your nicely coated frame without scratching either.

As for the engine itself, the great thing about the sohcs is their simplicity. I really think any damn fool could work on them. Furthermore, we're all (well most of us) still learning. If you post questions then others will benefit from the answers....
1978 CB400F2 Yellow
1995 VFR750FS Red
1997 VFR750FV Lapis Blue
2013 Yamaha FZ8 Grey

Offline gasman

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2012, 08:24:37 PM »
Thanks Tom
Its just a bit daunting, the engine gets bigger the more I strip the bike down. I expect I will give it a go. Have ordered a haynes manual and once the engine is out I will start being a pain to every one on SOHC. I am only going to do the top end, hopefully the manual will show me whats worn and whats not. The engine has been out of frame before as there is horrible black crap on gasket faces-- on checking plugs I noticed fresh oil in the plug wells so something is leaking. Good excuse to have frame sprayed and clean the bike up.
regards neal

Offline mick

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2012, 10:43:02 PM »
Hi Neal when you come to rebuild your engine i would use a genuine Honda head gasket if you can and the only place you should need any sealant is under the 6 black cam tower pucks all the other gaskets should just need a slight smear of grease,  ;) cheers Mick.

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2012, 03:20:25 PM »
Hi and welcome to the site.

The cylinder head has not much in it really, it's more a case of correctly assessing the condition and wear as a first step to see if any parts ned attention. just plain leaks are common if it's been disturbed and not rebuilt with at least some decent knowledge. At best you will need a good clean-up and diligent reassembly unless the previous owner has left it with some faults on rebuild.

To remove the engine with the bike upright usually takes two people to gently lift it out, you normally have to remove the exhaust stubbs and sump to get the best clearance and allow rotation of the engine more forwards to let the rear of the gearbox clear the frame mounts. Putting it back in is helped by taping thick newspaper around newly painted frame to avoid scraping. It's genuinely not difficult, just take your time and the obstructions are obvious.

They really are quite a nice thing to work on as they are not that complicated, and as you can see there are plenty on here doing the same stuff to help you with any questions.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2012, 07:13:42 AM »
Haynes manuals are not as good as the genuine Honda

Offline gasman

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2012, 08:14:19 PM »
Hi Guys
Well we took the plunge, stripped bike to bits, frame off to be stove enamaled, engine came out easy and apart it came. Very little wear except its been left standing for years and rings are siezed on to piston number 4. Whilst its in bits I am going to change everything including primary chain- then I know its OK. David Silver took over 400 pounds off me but at least it will be done, then its a new exhaust system to find. Tank and panells have gone to stacey at Ace of sprays Bristol, going to have them candy gold as its a 1974 k4 [usa] so little diff between that and our k2. Trouble is I want it all done yesterday but its getting expensive. Have allready got so attached to it even with the grief.
regards neal

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2012, 05:49:08 PM »
Sounds like you're gaining in confidence by the day, as you've probably found it's just a careful logical approach as they are not as complex as people assume. And they look so good when all together properly.

Make sure that you clean and check (especially the centre one's) spark plug threads while you have good access to the head, then use a copaslip type compound always to avoid any sticking problems.

As you are doing now, it's a good policy to deal with all the things that need an engine out  all at once to save having to go back in there later. With decent condition oil it should then last you a long time without any real problems, they really are well designed.

And they do look good in gold.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal