Author Topic: do i realy need a front mud gaurd ?  (Read 1274 times)

Offline bluemouse1006

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
do i realy need a front mud gaurd ?
« on: November 14, 2012, 05:48:00 AM »
looking at doing a cafe racer and dont have a front mud gaurd for my CB750 F1 ,i peersonally think they look good without a front mud gaurd ,apart from the obvious stopping water does the metal inside brace really  make that much differance ? or could i just not have a front mud gaurd ? not riding it in the wet etc.
If a fork brace would be better then weres the best place to get one, or if anyone has an old CB750 F1 front gaurd that will pass on to a good cause,I will be chopping it smaller so not that bothered what state its in (must include the metal bracket )

Thanks

Amos
Amos

Offline Waggles

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Re: do i realy need a front mud gaurd ?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2012, 07:08:18 AM »
Think the front guard does stiffen the front end a surprising amount but a brace would undoubtably be better. Think you are missing the elephant in the room tho, reckon its illegal not to have a front guard in this country and it would never get through an MOT.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2012, 07:39:20 AM »
Correct, a front mudguard is an MOT(and cronstruction and use ) requirement PLUS without the steel brace the forks are just not capable of steering straight!

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2012, 06:02:31 PM »
Is there a minimum size for this statutory front mudguard Bryan?
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2012, 10:27:05 PM »
Even open-wheeled cars have to have them as well to conform to regs as far as I know.

Also related, I rode a bike (motocrosser) without a front gaurd once and the amount of crap you get coming off the front wheel into the air and subsequently your face was out of all proprtion to what you could imagine such a simple device could stop. It didn't seem to matter if you rode on loose or hard surface, just everything seemed to end up in your eyes.

Offline Ewan 500 K1

• SOHC Pro
  • jings crivens help ma boab
    • View Profile
    • Adams Bros Probe 2001
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2012, 11:08:59 PM »
there's more than one way to skin an MOT folks , I've got two sets of clothes
jings crivens help ma boab

500K1/550K3 mongrel cafe racer project for now at http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,4120.0.html

500K1 basket case for later

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2012, 03:46:31 PM »
Probably why all the old photos of Cafe racers show them wearing goggles and a scarfe over their mouths.

You never know Amos, it may be written in the regs that you are required to use mudgaurd or sixties clobber for the MOT ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal