Author Topic: Marginal Charging System ?  (Read 2512 times)

Offline madoc

• View Profile
Marginal Charging System ?
« on: November 15, 2012, 12:30:31 PM »
Looks to be a 110w alternator ?

I boosted the front bulb to 55w/60w halogen (new reflector etc)  (from 35w/35w) and offset with an LED rear (effectively 15/20w more load)
This increase was enough to kill my power within 30miles and require a short ride in utter darkness (I had a mate behind me on an R60/6) and then a switch to side-lights for the remainder home ( I had enough to get back onto dip and run the starter when I got back)

After all my advice to others - I fell foul of the not checking the output in the garage BEFORE I left ......... quite frankly that output is piss-poor.. my 1947 ariel has bloody 60w at 6v (which equates to 120w at 12v with a 12v regulator - ok that is optmial and you wouldn't want to be loading it near it's maximum )

is there an uprated alternator available for CB550's ?? I am struggling to even find a replacement ... Electrex don't even do one ...

« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 03:59:39 PM by madoc »

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Marginal Charging System ?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2012, 06:20:36 PM »
No other generator commercialy made but a local re-winder might make you one.

These don't charge at all till over 3,000 revs and need 5,000 to keep up with a Halogen, having said that my old one in the 80.s used to keep up with a halogen light OK---Have you checked out the actual output as per the book?

Offline madoc

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2012, 06:54:57 PM »

Yeah.
I went back to a 35W halogen and tested the system against the book and I get around what it says ( slightly less but not wildly - probably down to connections/age).
You wouldn't want to be trickling through traffic, on full beam, for an hour or two ...

HID perhaps ?

Is there any standard stator/rotor unit even available - should mine go south ....

The lights on my old Brits are uniformly poor BUT I'm only running 40/50mph (or less at night around the lanes)

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2012, 10:20:47 PM »
Plenty of used stuff around if yours packs up completely. I always ran halogen headlamps on mine, it only had issues when I added a halogen lamp to the sidecar.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline Yoshi823

• SOHC Pro
  • Biker to the bone...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2012, 08:43:57 PM »
There shouldn't be any problems running a halogen headlight bulb if the rest of the charging system's in A1 condition. There are checks that you can do quickly & cheaply using a multimeter.

First off, check that you're getting a similar reading of about 17vac across each pair of yellow wires coming out of the alternator. If any one pair of windings is reading low then buzz out the wires using the resistance meter. All readings should read the same across any pair of yellow wires of say 5 ohms.

If the stator windings buzz out ok, then check that the rectifier output is about 15vdc, which is then mechanically regulated. The regulator can be tested & adjusted on the bench using a voltage supply after cleaning up the points under the metal cover.

While you have the resistance meter out, check that the earth leads back to the negative connector for the battery reads...to all intents & purposes...zero ohms. If it reads higher than say a few ohms, then clean the connectors of corrosion & buzz the wiring again.

On my old CB550F1 I ran twin spots via a relay from the battery without any problems. On a later CB550F2 I used the glass from a CB550K3 which had the H4 unit as standard. Later I fitted a Cibie Z beam unit that at one time had been fitted to my CB750F2 before that was converted to something else.

Check also that the battery on the 550 is good. If the bike is left unused for any length of time a cell or two of the six may well start to sulphate & short out the plates. Using an 'Optimate' trickle charger is a good investment.
Bikes...they're in the blood.
Yamaha R1 2001
Yamaha FZR1000R EXUP 1990
KTM 450 EXC RFS 2004
Honda XR400R 1997
Honda CB125T2 1980
Yamaha FJ1200 3XW 1991

Offline z1100r

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
    • Home Pages
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2012, 08:33:59 AM »
I found the charging system pretty weak I have to say. Immediately after rebuilding my 500 I was using it for an IOM trip and initially I worried about the charging system not coping  with a H4 headlight on all the time. I didn't have any problems though. It was fine. Mine seems to need quite high revs to produce anything but is OK after that.

Is there anything available Solid state to replace the regulator/rectifier...?? I've done this with great success on my Brit bikes with dynamo's.   

Offline madoc

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2012, 05:21:35 PM »
Is there anything available Solid state to replace the regulator/rectifier...?? I've done this with great success on my Brit bikes with dynamo's.

I replaced mine with a solid-state reg/rectifier; straight in. Electrex do one.

Like I said, I am getting just under the right numbers with the 35w halogen front bulb in and on (once it's rev'd of course)
I was just surprised that an extra 20w overwelmed it so quickly ........

The battery is old but tests ok. Maybe a new one wouldn't go amiss.
I have all my brits on a 6v trickle and an optimte for the two 12v machines.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal